This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Even though we’ve had some weather recently that seemed to be looking up, the winter season in Boston is still brutal. Its unforgiving winds and seemingly unsurmountable snow piles can be intimidating no matter how many years of winter you’ve survived here. There’s not much that can console me when I’m walking to class in what feels like subzero temperatures through the Arctic Tundra, but there are still a couple of things that make it a little more bearable. Whether it’s a nice winter jacket or a water bottle that keeps your coffee piping hot, it’s the little things that get you through the winters in Boston. With that being said, here is my Boston winter survival kit.

1. Fuzzy blanket

The first and most important thing you’re going to need is a fuzzy blanket. This is essential everywhere, but especially in those drafty dorm rooms. You’ll need something faux-furry or cable-knit to keep warm while doing homework or watching Netflix. Trust me, this is a purchase you won’t regret.

Blanket: Etsy

2. Warm sweater

The next thing you’ll never regret buying during those chilly Boston days is a warm, fluffy sweater or hoodie. You can wear it around the house, to class, or to Mugar. People might stare, but only out of jealousy. You’ll be looking cute and comfortable in this option.

Jacket: Urban Outfitters

3. Tea infuser

A tea infuser and some good teas are what really get me through winters here in Boston. Whether you’re sick, cold, or just had a long day, nothing relaxes me like some fresh herbal teas. Try a green tea or ginger tea to help boost your metabolism, or a nice breakfast tea to keep you working hard.

Tea infuser: Urban Outfitters

4. Knitted hat

A knitted hat will make those miserable walks to class seem more bearable, and maybe even enjoyable. There’s nothing better to keep your ears warm and your hair from flying around in the wind than winter hats. Pick a cute one with a fluffy pom on top, and you’ll never feel like your winter wardrobe restricts your fashion sense again.

Hat: Etsy

5. Swell water bottle

Swell water bottles are the latest craze, but I definitely didn’t understand the hype until I got one for myself. Nothing makes the winter season bearable like sipping on a hot drink, but when you grab a Starbucks cup in East Campus, your coffee often ends up cold by the time you get to West. Fortunately, these Swell bottles can keep liquids cold for up to 24 hours and warm for up to 12. There’s nothing better than a warm drink that stays warm when you need to walk outside in the cold.

Water bottle: Swell

6. Good show

Something important that always gets me through the Winter season is having a good show to binge watch. When I come home, I’m often exhausted from having been in the cold all day long, so I grab my blanket and curl up to a great new series. I strongly recommend Scandal, How to Get Away with Murder, Mr. Robot, or Chelsea Does for those of you that haven’t seen them. It makes being cuddled up in bed much more enjoyable.

7. Skin and lip moisturizers

Winter can be hard on the skin—especially the lips. That’s why, before the season hits, I make sure to stock up big on the little things, like Burt’s Bees products. Its hand lotion keeps my hands soft and moisturized, and the chapstick is unbeatable. Don’t let the winter get your skin dry and rough. Feeling smooth and the smell of Burt’s Bees is always a picker-upper.

Lip balm: Burt’s Bees

8. Freezer meals

The most important addition to my winter survival kit is the foods I stock up on to make being stuck inside a joy rather than a pain. Evol freezer meals are a great, healthy freezer item to stock up on just in case you get snowed in. Another great grab is chicken soup dumplings from Trader Joe’s. It’s the yummy dumpling I love, but with soup on the inside that adds warmth and is great when you’re sick. I also like to stock up on sweet treats to make and keep around incase the winter weather brings me down. My personal favorite is keeping a stash of hot chocolate k-cups for my Keurig and some large marshmallows. It’s the perfect sweet to sip on while doing homework.

Dumplings: Trader Joe’s

I'm a Film and Television major in the college of Communications with a minor in Women's Studies at Boston University. I'm from Louisville, Kentucky. Find me on Instagram: @taylormedford_19
Giana Grimaldi is the Integrated Marketing Director at Her Campus Media, overseeing client services and campaign execution for leading national brands across the company’s digital, experiential and community platforms. Prior to joining Her Campus Media, Giana assisted with the development and implementation of several PR campaigns in the energy, financial services and nonprofit sectors as an Account Coordinator on the Public Relations team at Rasky Partners. Giana attended Boston University, where she studied Communication with a concentration in Public Relations and was also a chapter president of Her Campus at BU. Giana loves all things music, social media, food, and reality TV. When she's not at work, you can find her at the gym, watching Netflix, making the perfect Spotify playlist, or spending hours scrolling through TikTok videos. Follow her on Instagram @_gianamaria.