This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Still new to Boston or don’t know where to start when it comes to thrifting cute clothes on a budget? These are a few of the stores I’ve discovered where I’ve found quality pieces of clothing that I would recommend to everyone!

Buffalo Exchange

First on the list is (probably) my all-time favorite thrift store, located in Brookline at 312 Harvard Street. This store usually costs a bit more than Goodwill, with some occasional pricier pieces, but is still good to look at when you’re shopping on a budget. I love the way the clothing racks are organized, so that you can easily navigate the store. I never have a bad shopping day when I come here, as there’s usually something I can pick up that’s worth wearing.

The Garment District

A bit on the pricier side, The Garment District is located in Cambridge. There are two floors with racks upon racks of clothing, as well as other fun items. On Saturdays and Sundays, they dump large bins of clothing on the first floor, where you can buy items for $2 a pound –– or take advantage of the $1 a pound bin shopping on Fridays. I always find great quality clothes there, and if you’re willing to spend a little more than normal, I’d say it’s a great choice for thrift shopping.

SoWa Open Market

Located at 460 Harrison Avenue, the SoWa Open Market (or SoWa Vintage Market) is open only on Sundays, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., from May through October. It’s a great display of art, food trucks, and even a farmer’s market, on top of a store filled with vintage items. Although its focus is not entirely on clothes, they have various interesting antique items for sale that you can’t find anywhere else. They also have some pop-ups lined up in tents outside, where you can shop from local small businesses. The website currently says it will return for the season in May 2021, with a more limited market planned to follow CDC guidelines.

Goodwill

Last, but not least, is a classic place to shop from when you want to go thrifting. Goodwill typically never disappoints, and with such a large collection of items, you’re bound to stay in there for a couple hours. I usually go to the one at 965 Commonwealth Avenue, as it’s one of the largest nearby.

So, if you’re looking to shop secondhand, these are just a few trustworthy places in the Boston area to choose from. Thrifting is sustainable, usually cheap, and a great way to find unique pieces of clothing you normally wouldn’t!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Originally from CT, Emily is a junior at Boston University studying Film and Television with a minor in Psychology. Her hobbies include drinking too many vanilla lattes, reading, writing, and watching movies.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.