Boston Calling 2014’s Artists You Should Be Listening To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Music fans can rejoice because the Boston Calling Music Festival is officially set to return to City Hall Plaza in May of this year. With the lineup featuring artists such as Death Cab for Cutie and Jack Johnson, we now have one more thing to look forward to this summer. If you don’t recognize all of the artists listed on the festival’s program—or you would just like to listen to some new tunes—check out some of the artists that will be performing at the third installment of Boston Calling:

1. The Neighbourhood

This indie rock band is quickly gaining popularity with their latest album, I Love You, and burning up the charts with their single, “Sweater Weather.” After performing at Coachella, Conan and Jimmy Kimmel Live, this California-based band is sure to rock this summer at City Hall Plaza.

Listen To: “Let It Go” and “Female Robbery”

2. The Head & The Heart

Seattle’s very own indie-folk band has the ability to perfectly blend honest lyrics and beautiful melodies and their music is sure to rock your world. Their tracks will soon be stuck in your head and win over your heart, and their sophomore album, Let’s Be Still, will undoubtedly become the only thing you’ll want to listen to at all hours of the day.

Listen To:  “My Friends” and “Cats and Dogs”

3. Bastille

If their British accents aren’t enough to pull you in, then Bastille’s amazing and dance-worthy beats surely will. The band’s latest single, “Pompeii,” is a definite crowd-pleaser and the rest of their album, Bad Blood, is perfect for a spontaneous dorm room dance party.

Listen To: “Flaws” and “Bad Blood”

4. Kurt Vile & The Violators

Former member of indie rock band, The War on Drugs, Kurt Vile has gained a cult following for both his songwriting and his curly brown mane. Their lo-fi rock music has a captivating nature that will definitely have you wanting more and his band’s latest album, Walking on a Pretty Daze, is no exception.

Listen To: “In My Baby’s Arms” and “Freak Train”

5. Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros

Made up of 12 people, this band radiates feel good vibes and the original hippie ideal. Often recognized for their hit single “Home,” Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros will certainly win you over with their free-spirited nature. Their self-titled album may actually emanate sunshine and rainbows so their performance is one not to be missed.

Listen To: “Better Days” and “Fiya Wata”

Academic Year: 2016Major: Public RelationsAstrological Sign: LibraEditorial team member, social media addict, and foodie.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.