Books from your Childhood that are Worth Reading Again

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I have always been a reader. When I was a kid, I would stay up way past my bedtime reading with a tiny book light under my covers until the sun came up.

My favorite childhood memories were made being swept away on other-worldly adventures and journeys into faraway lands. There’s nothing better than getting to know amazing characters who you can truly think of as friends, and allowing your imagination to soar. Some of the most important life lessons I learned as a kid came from books, and over this past summer, I decided to revisit some to see if they were as life-changing as I remember. Here are the books I would recommend reading again!

1. The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles by Julie Andrews

For a long time, I was sure that this book was some strange dream I had, so I was thrilled to discover that it’s a real book that I read in elementary school. The author is THE Julie Andrews from The Sound of Music, which is reason enough to read it. Besides that fact, it’s the heartwarming story of three siblings who go on a quest to find the mythical land of amazing creatures, Whangdoodleland. Rereading this was a lot of fun because the story has wonderful characters and an exciting plot. Although it’s for children, the messages of acceptance serve as a good reminder for any age.

2. Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli

To quote a tweet I once saw, “Stargirl was my first and most profound literary crush.” This book was one that has stuck with me since I read it early in middle school. This and its sequel, Love, Stargirl, leave you with an intense feeling that you understand yourself and the world around you in a much deeper way. It describes the story of a strange girl, named Stargirl, who comes to a new school in a new town, and a boy named Leo who has a hard time figuring her out. The story feels like you’re caught up in a whirlwind part of the character’s lives, and when it ends, I guarantee you’ll have a new appreciation for people who do not conform to societal expectations.

3. The Chronicles of Narnia Series by C.S. Lewis

My favorite childhood memory with my father is him reading me this entire book series at night as bedtime stories, so rereading the first couple books in the series was a huge nostalgia blast. The tale of four siblings entering a fantastical dimension through an old wardrobe was endearing to me, and now I understand the historical context as well. The children are from England and they have to flee to the house with the magic wardrobe because of the bombings during WWII. The story is one that is actually appealing to all ages, and my father told me that he had just as much fun reading them to me as I did listening to them.

4. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L’Engle

I originally read this one due to a recommendation from an elementary school teacher, and instantly fell in love with it. This past year, I reread it in preparation for the movie that came out based on the book, and I liked it just as much. The fantasy aspect in the book is really well done, and not cheesy or played out. The characters that take Meg Ryan on a journey into many different dimensions are fascinating and multifaceted, as are the characters of Meg’s family. The reader is very much rooting for Meg as she tries to reunite her family. The story emphasizes the importance of family and confidence, which are things that even adults could be reminded of from time to time.

Reading books from my childhood was an enjoyable and nostalgia-inducing experience, but I feel like I gained some perspective from it. Remembering how happy these stories and characters made me as a kid has reminded me of a simpler time in my life, and it was a good reminder of some important lessons that can only be taught through novels for kids.

If you’ve been wanting to break out some of your favorite books from childhood, I highly recommend it. Try one from this list, or check out some other old favorites! Happy reading!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterestboard, and read our latest Tweets!

Keeley Bombard is a sophomore at Boston University studying Environmental Analysis and Policy. Although she was born in Boston, she grew up in Rochester Hills, Michigan. She loves dancing, reading, writing, listening to music, watching movies, and being around her friends. She loves to connect with people over topics she is passionate about through writing!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.