Best Valentine’s Day Movies That Aren’t Rom-Coms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Now that it’s February every store is decked out in pink hearts and every movie theater is rolling out a ton of new cheesy Nicholas Spark inspired films and cute but cliché romantic comedies to draw in the crowds for Valentine’s Day Weekend. If you’ve already seen all the classics or rom coms aren’t really you’re thing here are some new, unconventional flicks you need to check out this February 14th! 

1. Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (2005)

Got the single blues and not feeling a love-story? Invite over your besties, break out the popcorn, and re-visit this classic, lighthearted comedy that celebrates female friendship and the power of the perfect pair of jeans. 

2. The Craft (1996)

If dark rituals and séances are more your style than magic pants and summer camps, embrace your inner Goth girl by watching this 90s cult hit about a group of high school girls who form a powerful witch club. 

3. Bonnie and Clyde (1967)

The ultimate tale of twisted, fatal love. Bonnie and Clyde, both the original and the remake starring Gwyneth Paltrow, offer a thrilling and ultimately tragic look into a dangerous romance built on crime and ambition.

4. Gone Girl (2014)

Probably the most deliberately anti-romantic comedy style movie on the list, Gone Girl, is an incredibly dark look at a marriage gone wrong. Packed with thrilling plot twists and shocking moments, it’ll have you on the edge of your seat and suddenly paranoid about getting into any serious long-term relationship. 

5. First Wives Club

Basically the original John Tucker Must Die, First Wives Club is a hilariously campy film about three middle-aged friends who reunite to seek revenge on their-ex husbands who left them for younger women. A favorite of Jennifer Lawrence and starring three acting legends, First Wives Club is the perfect mix of laughs and cynicism to get you through V Day. 

6. Clueless (1995)

Before you say that Clueless could technically be considered a rom-com because of the romance between Cher and Josh, I would argue that it’s actually much more of a coming-of-age story. Everything in the movie revolves around Cher’s journey to improve herself and discover who she is while at the same time balancing her relationships with boys, friends, parents, and teachers.

All of these films are entertaining alternatives to the usual boy-meets-girl/happily-ever-after plot and an exciting way to avoid your romance fatigue this Valentine’s Day.

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.