The Best Things to Do in Boston this Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

The holiday season is the best time of year. There are countless festive activities that I love to do every single year, and I was worried that coming to college would force me to abandon some of my favorite traditions. Luckily, living in Boston gives me the opportunity to partake in all of the best things for getting in the spirit of Christmas. Here are the four best holiday activities in Boston!

1. Ice Skating on the Boston Common Frog Pond

Boston Common is an awesome destination no matter what time of year it is, but my favorite time to go is during the holidays. The Frog Pond is open for ice skating from November to March, and even offers half-price admission for all college students every Tuesday from 6-9 P.M. Just show your student ID! You can also grab food at the Frog Pond Cafe to enjoy hot chocolate to warm up. Skate rentals are 12 dollars, and admission is only 6 dollars!

2. Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market

You can hop on the green line to get to Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market, a festive and fun outdoor mall that is decked out with Christmas lights during the season. There are lots of people walking around, shopping, and eating at the many restaurants around the area. The best part of the experience is taking pictures with the giant Christmas tree! Also, every day from November 28th to January 1st, there is a free, world-famous light and sound show called “Blink!” that incorporates the tree and the other lights from 4:30 to 9 P.M.

3. Boston Ballet’s Performance of The Nutcracker

For many people, seeing The Nutcracker is one of the best family Christmas traditions. As a dancer, it’s definitely one of my favorites. You and your friends can make it a tradition for you while at school, too! The show is so festive and it’s a wonderful story for all ages. The Boston Ballet does incredible performances of the show all throughout the season, from November 29th to December 30th. Buy your tickets here!

4. Try the Best Hot Chocolate in Town

While this title is highly controversial and everyone has their own preference, my favorite cup of Boston Cocoa comes from L.A. Burdick. Located at 220 Clarendon St., their signature version of the holiday drink is super rich and sweet. It is the ultimate way to warm up in Boston winters and get into the Christmas spirit at the same time. It reminds me of the hot chocolate scene from The Polar Express, and if that’s not enough to get you to try it, I don’t know what is.

The holidays are the most magical time of the year, so your activities should be magical too. Whether you’re shopping around and watching the light show at Faneuil Hall or grabbing a cup of cocoa from L.A. Riddick, I hope you have an exciting and relaxing holiday season in Boston!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterestboard, and read our latest Tweets!

Keeley Bombard is a sophomore at Boston University studying Environmental Analysis and Policy. Although she was born in Boston, she grew up in Rochester Hills, Michigan. She loves dancing, reading, writing, listening to music, watching movies, and being around her friends. She loves to connect with people over topics she is passionate about through writing!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.