This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

With the current quarantine, many of us are stuck at home alone. Many have taken the downtime to binge-watch popular shows, rewatch some of their favorite movies, or explore some of the thousands of titles on popular streaming sites. One of the best ways to cope with being alone during this quarantine is to watch some iconic romantic comedies. Below are six of the best rom coms I recommend you watch.

10 Things I Hate About You

This iconic teen movie is based on the play The Taming of the Shrew by William Shakespeare. It follows the Stratford sisters as they navigate the struggles of teen dating. Their father made a rule that the younger sister, Bianca, cannot date until her sister, Kate, finds a boyfriend. This is practically impossible with Kate’s abrasive personality. This movie stars iconic actors like Heath Ledger and Julia Stiles. Not only does this movie have a great romance, but it also features a wonderful serenade by Heath Ledger.

13 Going on 30

Another iconic early 2000s movie, 13 Going on 30 centers on Jenna, a young girl who wishes to jump right to adulthood. As she navigates her suddenly 30-year-old life, Jenna realizes that what she wished for wasn’t what she really wanted. This movie stars Jennifer Garner and Mark Ruffalo. If the friends-to-lovers romance isn’t enough for you, then maybe the dance number to Michael Jackson’s Thriller can pull you in.

50 First Dates

Adam Sandler may not seem like the type to play the lead in a romantic movie, but he stars in this amazing rom com alongside Drew Barrymore. Henry tries to romance the beautiful Lucy, but due to her short-term memory loss, she forgets him every day. Henry always returns to woo Lucy over day after day, until they eventually fall in love. This movie is great for anyone who loves a happy ending.

Sweet Home Alabama

New York fashion designer Melanie finds herself engaged to her big shot boyfriend. However, her small town past seems to prevent her from living her dream life. She travels back to her country life in Alabama, hoping to completely leave it behind, only to find herself falling back in love with her redneck husband Jack. This movie has it all–hot city boyfriend played by McDreamy himself, Patrick Dempsey; hot country guy played by Josh Lucas; and a powerful and ambitious woman played by Reese Witherspoon. This is a classic romantic movie with a city girl returning to her small town to find love and happiness.

The Kissing Booth

For anyone who grew up with Wattpad dictating their idea of love, this is the movie for you. Elle finds herself in a relationship with her long time crush, Noah, who happens to be her best friend’s brother (I definitely hear the iconic Victorious song “Best Friend’s Brother” playing in my head right now). This movie is part of Netflix’s romcom revival. The hot older brother is played by social media’s latest crush, Jacob Elordi. And Elle is played by the Emmy nominated actress Joey King. Also, there’s a cameo by the queen of romance herself, Molly Ringwald. This movie is great for anyone looking to live their Wattpad dreams or for a fun and playful romance. 

A Cinderella Story

This is one of the most iconic teen movies of our time. I can still see Hilary Duff giving the most iconic speech to Chad Michael Murray (“Waiting for you is like waiting for rain in this drought, useless and disappointing.”) Honestly any of the Cinderella story movies are great, however, the original is the best. This movie is a modern retelling of the Cinderella fairytale. The movie has a star-studded cast including Hillary Duff, Chad Michael Murray, Jennifer Coolidge, and Regina King. This is a classic that everyone should watch. 

Now go grab a snack and cuddle up with a cozy blanket! Stay safe and relax while watching these great movies.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

MyChalia is a freshman majoring in English Education in the Wheelock College of Education and Human Development at Boston University. She has a passion for education and social justice, as well as creating a loving and accepting community for all regardless of race, gender, sexual identity, etc. MyChalia also has a passion for reading and creative writing. She can be found lost in the isles of a Barnes n' Noble or chilling in a random Boston cafe drinking iced coffee.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.