The Best Places to Visit in Boston for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Each December, Boston transforms into a slightly more magical version of itself. Spending my whole life here, I’ve found that exploring the city at this time of year is a great stress reliever (perfect for finals season). Here are some of the coolest things to check out:

Explore Faneuil Hall

Between the giant Christmas tree, lights everywhere, and a generally cheerful but hectic atmosphere, Faneuil Hall is the place to visit this holiday season. Go after 4:30 for the Blink! light and sound show (with the Holiday Pops) and don’t forget to stop by Christmas in Boston for any holiday decoration you could possibly need!

Skate at Frog Pond/Boston Common

Go skating at the best outdoor rink in the US while the Christmas lights and music are in full swing! College students get half price on Tuesdays. Warm up afterward with a hot chocolate and stroll around the many lights of the Boston Common. And don’t miss the tree from Nova Scotia!

Catch a Performance of The Nutcracker

Get lost in this classic holiday tale by spending a night at the Boston Ballet! Don’t wait until next year; right now college students can get in for $20.

Take a Ride on the Holiday Lights Trolley

See some of the city’s most spectacular light displays on a festive trolley. Available as both a family-friendly or 21+ event.

Check out the MFA’s Free Hanukkah Event 

Celebrate Hanukkah on the 18th with musical performances, the MFA’s own Judaica collection, and a giant candle lighting.

Shop at the SoWa Winter Festival

Catch up on your holiday shopping in style with food trucks, art galleries, and plenty of photo ops! Don’t miss your chance to explore this unique, open-air market. 

Hopefully you found somewhere new to explore this holiday season. Don’t miss these events before they’re gone!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Olivia is a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences studying marine science. She loves the ocean and summer more than anything and wants to live somewhere warmer one day even though she's spent her whole life in Massachusetts. She also likes music, night runs, and writing pointless things.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.