This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As fashion month comes to a close this week in Paris, it is always interesting to take a look at some of the designers who made a big impact in each city showcasing their Fall 2020 collections. Examining primarily designers making their fashion week debuts, their influence is already apparent in their striking designs inspired by their heritage. Each fashion week is a melting pot of diversity both in terms of the art and the artists and it can be a catalyst for many careers, so here are the designers that are taking fashion month by storm this season.

NYFW: Fe Noel

Making their New York Fashion Week debut, Fe Noel closed out NYFW with bold colors and patterns, paying homage to African culture. Felisha Noel is a Brooklyn based designer whose work is heavily inspired by her family’s Caribbean heritage and the idea of female empowerment. The label’s debut show honored the African culture that inspired the collection with a short film by Itaysha Jordan introducing the show. Fe Noel took home Essence’s Designer of the Year award recently at the Best in Black Fashion Awards and the label’s impact extends beyond fashion through the Fe Noel Foundation that supports young women who want to pursue entrepreneurship.  

Paris: Thebe Magugu

South African designer Thebe Magugu’s first collection, presented at Paris Fashion Week, was evocative of his roots in Kimberly, South Africa and inspired by the values he grew up with. In this deeply personal collection, Magugu’s work combines fabrics from his childhood, such as his grandmother’s kitchen tablecloth, with other thematic elements designed to reflect his family’s journey. All of Magugu’s work is created in South Africa with the help of local artists in the production, photography, and styling of the collection. 

London: Christopher Kane

Christopher Kane’s latest collection for Fall 2020 is ripe with 1970s influences and a sexy twist. Kane is known for his use of geometric shapes in work and this collection, in particular, plays heavily off of triangular shapes and a ‘70s mod color scheme.

Fashion month is one of the most exciting times in the fashion industry, for the trends of the upcoming season are introduced by some of the world’s leading fashion houses. But fashion month is also a time where a new group of designers has the opportunity to establish themselves and set the tone for what the future of fashion holds; and so far, 2020 is looking bright!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Abby is a freshman at BU studying journalism.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.