This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

2018 is the year of the gays! On January 1, 2018, Hayley Kiyoko – known as lesbian Jesus – tweeted, “It’s our year, it’s our time. To thrive and let our souls feel alive. #20GAYTEEN.” Since Kiyoko’s tweet at the beginning of the year, there have been so many accomplishments for the LGBTQ+ community. Below is a list of 11 of the best moments of 20Gayteen.

1. Hayley Kiyoko released both her music video for “Curious” and her album Expectations

Lesbian Jesus herself, Hayley Kiyoko, not only graced us with an amazing music video but also a whole album full of gay anthems. Get ready to listen to bop after bop.

2. Troye Sivan released the video for “My! My! My!” and his album Bloom

Not only did Hayley Kiyoko grace us with an album, but so did Troye Sivan. He is a Youtuber-turned-musician-and-actor. Troye has always been uncomfortable expressing himself in fear of being perceived as too gay. Though his most recent videos show him embracing himself more and more. We’re so grateful to have someone like Troye Sivan who constantly uses his platform to help young people accept themselves.

3. The Fab Five was brought to Netflix with the Queer Eye revival

The Fab Five have been bringing happy tears to our eyes as they help people across the country. They have been showing us how to live our best life. Let’s be honest, we only eat healthy for Antoni, we dress well for Tan, we keep our house clean for Bobby, we’re kind to ourselves for Karamo, and we take care of our hair for Jonathan. Thanks Fab Five for helping people across the US and for encouraging all of us to be our best selves!

4. Adam Rippon was the United States’ first openly gay athlete to medal at the Olympics

It’s not only important to have the LGBTQ+ representation on TV but also in other careers. Young LGBTQ+ people need as many role models as possible! It’s great to have people like Adam Rippon to show young people they can be who they are and do great things.

5. Hayley Kiyoko won the VMA for Push Artist of the Year

“This validates any queer woman of color that you can follow your dreams. I love my fans. My fans gave this to us. 20Gayteen!”

6. Love, Simon is the first movie produced by a major studio to focus on an LGBTQ+ character/relationship

Love, Simon is such a cute movie! When this movie came out there were a lot of positive reviews from fans. People loved that this movie challenged heteronormative ideals with the iconic line “Straight is not the default.” The story this movie told helped many young people accept who they are and come out to their loved ones.

7.  Queer Superhero!

Not only has the CW created a whole show centered around a POC superhero, but it also has a lesbian superhero in a major role. What’s even better is that Anissa, the lesbian superhero Thunder, has had multiple on-screen interactions with women, including a girlfriend. Although there are many LGBTQ+ relationships on screen right now, not every couple gets much screen time. Thank you, CW, for not only having a gay character but showing the gay character in a relationship and being affection with her girlfriend.

8. Disney Channel’s first openly gay character

Joshua Rush, who plays Cyrus Goodman, is very outspoken about his role on Andi Mack. His character has helped so many young people accept who they are. Having a gay character on a network aimed for kids is honestly so amazing. Young people need every example of diversity on television. Disney Channel is making big strides toward creating an accepting community.

9. Amandla Stenberg and King Princess are dating

Two gay icons, together, in one relationship. What is more amazing? Amandla Stenberg came out as a lesbian this year, though has always been a big gay rights activist. King Princess is new to the music scene creating so many gay bops. While it’s said to say that both Amandla and King Princess are off the market, it’s great to see a happy and healthy LGBTQ+ couple! It’s great to have an LGBTQ+ relationship young people can look up to.

10. Brooklyn Nine Nine was saved by NBC

Brooklyn Nine Nine, hailed for its diversity and representation, was unfortunately canceled by Fox earlier this year. It was a sad time for fans of the show and those that appreciate POC and LGBTQ representation. Though people weren’t sad for long. NBC saved the show! It’s currently in production for its sixth season and has a premiere date for January 10, 2019.

11. The historic midterm election

The midterm election of 2018 was revolutionary. There were more LGBTQ+ candidates elected than in any previous election. There were literally over 150 candidates that identify with the LGBTQ community.  Some that stand out are Sharice Davids the first Native American openly lesbian congresswoman and Jared Polis the first openly gay governor. Also, Massachusetts voted to uphold a bill that bars discrimination based on being transgender in public restrooms. This historic election proved that in spite of the efforts of the Trump Administration, the people are fighting for an accepting community.

20Gayteen is not over. These are just the events that happened so far. I can’t wait for 20Biteen. Life is only going to get queerer from here!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

MyChalia is a freshman majoring in English Education in the Wheelock College of Education and Human Development at Boston University. She has a passion for education and social justice, as well as creating a loving and accepting community for all regardless of race, gender, sexual identity, etc. MyChalia also has a passion for reading and creative writing. She can be found lost in the isles of a Barnes n' Noble or chilling in a random Boston cafe drinking iced coffee.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.