The Best of the 2016 Grammy Awards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

If you missed the 58th annual Grammy Awards, don’t worry—we’ve got you covered on everything from the best dressed celebs to the show’s best moments. Music’s biggest night, hosted by rapper and five-time Grammy host LL Cool J, included some amazing performances and many tear-worthy acceptance speeches. Here are some of the night’s must-see moments.

To no surprise, Taylor Swift, who opened the Grammys with her performance of “Out of the Woods,” won Album of the Year for her hit album “1989”—and apparently aimed part of her acceptance speech toward Kanye West, who recently claimed credit for her fame in one of his songs.

Taylor thanked her fans and then said, boldly, “There are going to be people along the way who will try to undercut your success or take credit for your accomplishments or your fame. But if you just focus on the work and you don’t let those people sidetrack you, someday you’ll look around and you will know that it was you and the people who love you who put you there.” You go T-Swift!

Before the show started, many artists and celebrities walked the red carpet, including The Weeknd and his date, supermodel Bella Hadid. The couple, who have been together since May, made their first public red carpet appearance at this year’s Grammys.

Bella looked stunning, wearing an all black Alexandre Vauthier Couture cutout dress, matching her date’s full black suit.

Later in the night, Lady Gaga performed a tribute to honor rock legend, David Bowie. Bowie, who died just last month, was Gaga’s greatest hero—she sang some of his most iconic hits, including “Let’s Dance” and “Changes.” Gaga’s hair, makeup, and outfits showed off Bowie’s eccentric style and edgy taste.

During Pitbull’s performance of his Latin-flavored hit “El Taxi,” viewers were shocked when Colombian actress Sofia Vergara joined him on stage. Vergara, known for her fun-loving personality and humor, danced with Pitbull during his performance, giving the night a memorable twist before it ended.

What’s an award show without this duo? Oh, and Ed Sheeran. Best friends Taylor Swift and Selena Gomez walked the red carpet together and then cozied up to their friend Ed Sheeran, who took home the Grammy for Song of the Year for his hit song, “Thinking Out Loud.” As he stood up to go on stage and accept his award, Ed Sheeran went over to hug Swift, who appeared extremely happy for her long-time friend. In his speech, Sheeran thanked his parents in the audience, who he stated had been to every Grammy award show that he was nominated in throughout the years.

Both Selena and Taylor looked amazing in their bright colored dresses—and, needless to say, they were attached by the hip all night. Man, would we love to be in their girl squad!

My name is Anna. I'm a journalism student at Boston University and a lover of all things beauty, fashion, and travel.
Giana Grimaldi is the Integrated Marketing Director at Her Campus Media, overseeing client services and campaign execution for leading national brands across the company’s digital, experiential and community platforms. Prior to joining Her Campus Media, Giana assisted with the development and implementation of several PR campaigns in the energy, financial services and nonprofit sectors as an Account Coordinator on the Public Relations team at Rasky Partners. Giana attended Boston University, where she studied Communication with a concentration in Public Relations and was also a chapter president of Her Campus at BU. Giana loves all things music, social media, food, and reality TV. When she's not at work, you can find her at the gym, watching Netflix, making the perfect Spotify playlist, or spending hours scrolling through TikTok videos. Follow her on Instagram @_gianamaria.