timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Being A Long-Distance Puppy Mom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Over Christmas break, my family and I got an 8-week old puppy.  My brother Dan had a friend from work whose sister had a whole litter of puppies waiting for a new home at her house.  When we went to look at the puppies my brother and I fell in love with the oldest, biggest, and cutest puppy in the litter.  A few weeks later, when he was old enough, we were able to pick him up and introduce him to his new home.  

We had an hour drive home and to say Finn gets car sick is an understatement.  He threw up on me 6 times in the car, but it’s fine because even while throwing up he still remained the cutest little boy in town.  It took Finn a few days to get adjusted to living in a new house, but once he grew comfortable he started to grow into his own puppy-self.  Since I was on break when we got him, I was able to play with Finn all day every day, except it only lasted a week.  I had to return to school to start my last semester at BU and I honestly feel like I have been separated from my child.  

It’s great to have a puppy in the house because since we had to put my last dog to sleep three years ago, our house has always felt like it was missing something.  It’s sad to miss out on the cute fun times with Finn because sooner rather than later he is going to be a full grown dog.  He’s already almost 40 pounds and my heart can’t take him growing any bigger than he already is.  

I FaceTime my parents daily to see the dog and I swear although we only spent one week together he recognizes my voice. Maybe I’m crazy, but I already told you I treat him like my own baby.  Currently, Finn is on a biting rampage and marking up my family’s hands and feet.  He keeps peeing in the house and barking at the door, but I swear he’s the greatest puppy ever.  He loves to cuddle, when he’s calm, and just loves to be around people.  He honestly is the best dog in the world.

Having a puppy while I’m in college is great because it’s always extra special when I go home. However, it is sometimes hard because I feel like I’m missing out on the milestones of his life.  I know it sounds stupid, but I want to be there when he loses his first tooth and needs to get *whispers* “neutered,” (sorry Finn).  

It’s also difficult missing out on Finn growing up because my family is so incapable of taking a cute pic of him from a good angle.  The amount of pictures I have like the one below is outlandish.  I won’t have any pictures of him as a puppy for when he gets older. I can’t wait to go home just so I can take good photos of him because I want to post him all over social media.

Only 2 more days separate me from going home to my little mush ball and I can’t wait to hold him and give him lots of kisses and walks.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

I am a senior studying broadcast journalism at Boston University
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.