Behind the Scenes with Sarah Daebler, a TV Producer and Mentor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Sarah Daebler, a BU class of 2019 Film and TV major in the College of Communication, is a producer for butv10’s supernatural show, Shadows. As her friend, I see firsthand how devoted she is to her job. I always find her working on the show outside of actual meetings and shoots, from listening to music scores to backing up sound files. She loves what she does.

I recently had the opportunity to join Sarah for a film shooting for Echolocation, a film for COM’s Production 3 class. Although she isn’t actually taking Production 3, she told me that she volunteered to do sound and be editor simply because they needed the help and she wanted the experience. Although the film shooting was eight hours long and went well into the early morning, Sarah never lost her upbeat spirit. She constantly laughed alongside the director, producer, and myself. Between takes when I was being an extra and she was doing sound, she would smile and make funny faces at me. Both of us may have grown very tired as the night progressed, but not for one moment did I regret going and it was because of her enthusiasm!

A couple days ago, I sat down with my bestie Sarah to learn more about her interest in film and TV, her role as producer, and why she loves what she does.

What drew you to BU’s Film and TV program?

Sarah: Well I’ve always been pretty creative, and in high school I did a little bit of editing with audio and video. So then I knew I wanted to go into COM but I didn’t know what I wanted to do. After seeing what options there were and trying out a film and tv course, I realized that this was what I wanted to do.

How did you get involved with producing for butv10?

Sarah: I joined Shadows at the beginning of my sophomore year, and I just really enjoyed doing as much as I could for it. I wanted to be able to do more for the show, so I took on the role as producer so I could contribute more of my ideas, thoughts, and changes.

What is being a producer for Shadows like?

Sarah: It’s a lot of fun! It’s really encouraging to be able to be a role model for all of the new freshmen who don’t know what they’re doing yet. It’s a little stressful at times but it’s worth it.

What does being a producer entail?

Sarah: With my other producers, I lead the meetings. So I help everyone come up with pre-production plans and then I help during film shoots. Then I teach people how to do post-production and help them with that as well. So basically I’m just there to help all the people who are working for the show and guide them.

Do you think that you like to do produce because you enjoy helping people?

Sarah: Yes. I really like to help people because helping them learn helps me learn and it gives me more experience with being a leader. I also like to see people learn and grow. I want to help them because I know that when I came in as a freshman, I didn’t really know what to do. So when I went to class it was a lot harder. When I joined Shadows and people started teaching me how to do things, the class just got so much easier. I was able to do the work I was given much more quickly and understand it better because I had learned from people above me in Shadows. I want to be able to do that for all these new people. I think the main reason people join butv10 is to get that experience and get ahead. I want to really make sure that they are getting things from our show. Not just them helping us, but us helping them.

What do you hope to do in the future?

Sarah: I have somewhat of an idea; I think I want to be an editor. Hopefully, if it works out, I can edit award-winning movies.

The Film and TV industry is known to be male-dominated. Have you experienced any difficulties because of this?

Sarah: Not yet. Everyone on butv10 is very cooperative. We work together. We all get along and there are no conflicts. We all want to work as a team and no one wants to get ahead of anyone else. But I’m sure that when I get into the bigger industry there might be some issues that occur because of that.

What is your advice for a BU woman interested in getting involved with butv10?

Sarah: Definitely do it! Don’t even hesitate. It’s so easy to join and everyone is so, so nice. Not just on my show, but if you want to join any other show, everyone is always so open and willing to help new people who want to join. Don’t be scared.

Sarah’s passion for film and TV is evident, and she has a heart that yearns to help others. So, if you’re interested in getting involved with butv10, take her advice and go for it! Maybe she’ll be the one to show you the ropes.

Make sure to like Shadows on Facebook, follow them on Twitter, and watch their episodes!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Alexandra Kallfelz is a senior studying journalism at Boston University. Besides writing, Alexandra's passions include color guard, travel, Netflix, music, and Disney. She is a pure-blood New Englander and a dog fanatic.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.