A Beginner’s Guide to Beyoncé

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It’s widely accepted that Beyoncé is the queen of the music industry. Almost everyone can recognize the iconic tune and dance for her hit single, “Single Ladies.” But in a world that is preparing to get in formation, you can feel out of place if you aren’t up-to-date on all that is Beyoncé. Never fear, we’re here with all the basics you need to know to live in this world of Queen Bey. And maybe you’ll fall crazy in love with her too. 

Destiny’s Child 

A performer from a young age, Beyoncé rose to fame as the lead singer of the girl group Destiny’s Child.  

Songs to know from this era (if you don’t already) are “Say My Name” and “Survivor.” 

Dangerously in Love 

During Destiny’s Child’s hiatus, Beyoncé introduced herself to the world as a solo performer. She released her debut album, Dangerously in Love, in 2003.  

Songs to know: “Crazy in Love,” “Naughty Girl,” “Baby Boy” 

B’Day 

Destiny’s Child disbanded in 2005, and Beyoncé released her second solo album, B’Day, on her birthday.  

Songs to know: “Déjà vu,” “Irreplaceable,” “Beautiful Liar” 

I Am…Sasha Fierce 

In 2008, Beyoncé released a two-sided album. The I Am side featured typical Beyoncé songs, while the other side featured songs based on her alter ego, Sasha Fierce. “Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)” won Song of the Year at the 2010 Grammys. That was just one of six Grammys she won that year. 

Songs to know: “Single Ladies,” “Halo,” “If I Were a Boy” 

In 2011, Beyoncé took over her own management and released her album, 4. It’s said that this album has a more mellow tone than her first albums. 

Songs to know: “Run the World (Girls),” “Love on Top” 

Beyoncé

In 2013, Beyoncé dropped her eponymous album on iTunes with no announcement or promotion, and it still debuted at number one on the Billboard 200 chart. 

Songs to know: “Drunk in Love” feat. Jay Z, “Flawless,” “Partition”                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Super Bowl Performances 

Beyoncé performed the national anthem at Super Bowl XXXVIII in 2004. Her iconic halftime show for Super Bowl XLVII is a video to check out. Just a couple weeks ago, she performed alongside Bruno Mars and Coldplay in the 50th Super Bowl halftime show, debuting her newest song, “Formation.” 

The Carters

Beyoncé married Jay Z in 2008 and gave birth to her adorable daughter, Blue Ivy Carter, in 2012. 

“Formation”

On February 6, 2016, Beyoncé released her single “Formation.” She performed at the Super Bowl and announced The Formation World Tour the next day. The much-discussed video is only viewable through her website, but be sure to check it out.  

Armed with this knowledge, you’re prepared to enter the ranks of her fan base, the Beyhive. While they’re known for being ruthless, they’re also known as one of the most devoted fandoms in the industry. And whether or not you’re ready to start your Beyoncé fan Twitter right away, you can always appreciate her incredible talent and messages of female empowerment.

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.