This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

If you’ve never had an established skincare routine, jumping into the endless amounts of YouTube morning/night routines and girl guides online can be very intimidating. There is a lot of information out there and it can be a lot to handle all at once! So let’s break it down to the most basic of basic skin care routine with just three steps to make things a little easier.  

1. Cleanse     

Simply rinsing your face with water isn’t enough to clean your skin. A facial cleanser gets rid of all the gunk in your face; from old skin cells, to dirt and make-up that wasn’t completely wipped off with your make-up remover. One of the most important things about this step is to be gentle and take your time.  

2. Tone  

Toning completes the cleansing of your skin. It removes those stubborn impurities that linger after you’ve used your cleanser. In addition to cleansing, most toners have many other benefits. They can help shrink pores, balance your skin’s pH balance, as well as refresh and moisturize your skin. 

3. Moisturize 

No matter what your skin type is you shouldn’t skip moisturizing. Leaving it out can cause redness or flaking in your skin and eventually you’ll get premature wrinkles and other aging signs. And don’t forget to apply sunscreen! Even if it’s not sunny outside, protect your skin.  

Important Tip: It’s important to know your skin type and understand that different products work better with certain skin types.  

In the future if you plan on using more products, you can just add them to these three steps. Don’t think of skincare as a chore. Think of it as a great way to treat yourself!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.