Asking for Help in College: Resources Available to Students at BU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As a Pre-Medical student studying Health Science at Boston University, I can tell you that college is not easy. I am a freshman and my current schedule includes Biology, Chemistry, Psychology, a writing seminar, and a seminar for Sargent College students. Unfortunately, I sacrifice a lot of free time to do my homework and study for exams.

The first semester of freshman year is difficult for many reasons. Not only are you adjusting to new teachers, new courses, and new classrooms, but you are also learning to get used to a new home, new food, and basically new everything!

If you are also a freshman, you can most likely agree that there is so much on your plate and not enough hours in the day to get everything done. You may even feel lonely at times, but you are honestly not alone. Everyone is struggling, and everyone deals with that stress in different ways. I am here to tell you that you should never be afraid to ask for help.

You can ask for help on literally anything, and the world will not judge you for it. Reaching out to others is never considered a weakness. It is a strength, and if you feel that you need another person’s assistance with something, whether it be homework or even homesickness, then I encourage you to find the appropriate resources and get that help you not only need, but also deserve.

At Boston University, there are so many resources available to students. While I am guilty of not always doing this, your first stop for academic help should be your professor’s or your TF’s office hours. Your next stop would be The Educational Resource Center. Their academic resources include peer tutoring and the Writing Center. I personally have experience with the Writing Center and I can vouch that they are extremely helpful to bounce ideas and concerns off of. I am just giving you a brief outlook of the resources available on campus; however, my point here is that there is help available at every corner of campus and online.

On a different note, if you have health problems, you can easily reach out to Student Health Services. You can send a message through the Patient Portal if you have a problem while they are closed and they will respond as soon as the office opens. Even if you have to physically go to Student Health Services, everyone there is friendly and helpful. Going to the doctor, especially an unknown doctor, can be nerve-wracking, but they do a wonderful job with patient management and clinical care.

Finally, I think it is especially important to discuss what resources are available for when you feel stressed, sad, homesick, etc. I am not the first person to say that the Pre-Medical track, or even college in general, is stressful. I have gone through an emotional rollercoaster during my time here. I miss my parents, friends, pets, house, and all the places I used to hang out with people. More times than I can count have I said: “I want to go home!” I keep saying it, but I stay. I talk to my friends, my roommate, my RA, and anyone who is willing to listen and offer advice. While I have not taken advantage of this resource, Student Health Services even has a counseling service available for students.

The bottom line is that even though college is a big adjustment, there are plenty of people and places to go for help, no matter what you need assistance with.

Lauren is a Health Science major on the Pre-Med track at Boston University. She loves anything science and loves writing in her free time. 
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.