Style > Beauty

As Seen on TikTok: Are These 5 Viral Products Overrated?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.
Sol De Janeiro Cheirosa Perfume Mist

Anything Sol de Janeiro sells right now, and the perfumes are no exception. These were are the top of everyone’s shopping list this year, including mine. I got Cheirosa 68 (the light pink bottle), and I have to say, I’ve enjoyed it. It’s a pleasant, fruity, and floral smell that draws in various consumers. However, it wears off during the day and constantly needs reapplication, so I would cite this as one of its downsides. To help decide if this is the scent for you, I suggest buying a small bottle first rather than splurging for the big bottle. 

Summer Fridays Lip Balm 

These lip balms have gone viral, so much so that when you go to Sephora, they’re rarely there. I’ve used the vanilla scent, and I have to say that it’s an excellent formula. The applicator also makes it incredibly easy to apply. However, I don’t think it’s any different than any other lip balm you’d purchase for a cheaper price somewhere else. Glossier has the same product for almost $10 cheaper, so I don’t think it’s worth repurchasing when other alternatives exist.

Rare Beauty Soft Pinch Liquid Blush 

Rare Beauty has so many products that have taken over TikTok, but the blush was arguably the parent product of viral makeup. I used the shade “Hope” and enjoyed using liquid blush for the first time. However, what I didn’t like about it was how much it sank into my pores and made my blemishes a little more prominent. If you like liquid blush, this is definitely the product for you. And if not, it may be best to stick to powder (something safe like Nars)!

Color Wow Extra-Strength Dream Coat

I hadn’t seen much about this product online, but apparently, it’s one of the best products for blowdrying. I bought the mini one and was personally a little skeptical because it didn’t seem to be any different than any other product for frizz control. I recommend that you do your research and invest in something less costly that will work better for your hair type, especially if you have a curlier/wavier hair type.

Revlon Rum Rasin Lipstick

I’m always searching for a good lipstick, and I think the tendency to purchase the more expensive items when looking for good products is an unfortunate new trend. There is a solution to this, and you must look no further than Revlon’s Lustrous Lipstick, specifically in the shade “Rum Raisin.” It’s a gorgeous terracotta-type color, and the formula is great as it doesn’t highlight lip lines. Within the Revlon shade range, there has to be something for you. I definitely recommend checking it out!

what do you think of these viral products?

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!

Surmayee Thakur is a student Boston University. She works on the writing team and as an editor for HCBU. She enjoys covering a variety of topics including beauty, film and television, music, and her experience as a South Asian woman and a student. Surmayee is an English major, Public Health minor, and a premed student. She has worked as an English teacher and has a passion for writing and reading. She hopes to make healthcare a more accessible and communicative field. In her free time, Surmayee enjoys writing, listening to music, shopping, and reading. She's a fantasy/YA book, K-Drama, and South Asian media aficionado and she can often be found consuming either of the 3 voraciously in bed.