Angelina’s ‘80s Archive: Six Streaming Picks for Six Foot Social Distancing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I’m sure that after these past few weeks you have become tired of staying in all of the time.  Often, the right way to do something isn’t the easy way, but making sacrifices for the greater good will prove worth it once these frightening times end. To keep yourself busy, here are six pieces of ‘80s entertainment that are available to stream right now, in honor of staying six feet apart.

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986)

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off has long held the #2 spot on my list of favorite movies of all time—I’ve been waiting since I started this column to write a full-length article about it, purely because of how much I love it. Whenever I’m sick, it cheers me up to see Ferris’s pretend sick day turn into an incredible adventure for all of those involved. I’ve watched this movie too many times to count, including a period a few years ago during which I put it on pretty much every night when I needed something happy to distract me from wandering, anxious thoughts before bed.  Ferris Bueller’s Day Off always manages to take my mind off of the struggles in my life, if only for 1 hour and 43 minutes. This is the kind of movie we need to be watching right now. 

Where to Stream It: Netflix (or rent in HD for $3.99 on Amazon Prime)

Say Anything… (1989)

You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll fall in love. Say Anything… is a beautiful movie with a depth that might be unexpected for teen entertainment. It also has both John and Joan Cusack, which always makes for a good time. With iconic one-liners, killer music (yes, the boombox scene, but “Joe Lies,” anyone?), and dynamic relationships in all forms (friend-friend, boyfriend-girlfriend, and parent-child among them), you’re missing out if you’ve never seen this film. There’s even a great exchange between Lloyd and Diane that makes them the perfect spokespeople for social distancing:

Diane: “I just can’t have any social life right now.”

Llloyd: “We’ll be antisocial.”

Where to Stream It: Hulu (or rent in HD for $3.99 on Amazon Prime)

Stranger Things (2016—  )

I’m technically cheating on this one, but as Stranger Things is set in the ‘80s, I’m letting it slide. Now is the perfect time to start this series if you haven’t. It’s also the perfect time for those of you who, like me, have watched it too many times, to binge it once again. I mean, it’s only 21 hours and 49 minutes of your time. Nowadays, a lot of us have plenty. And isn’t it nice to distract ourselves with interdimensional monsters every once in a while? 

Where to Stream It: Netflix

WarGames (1983)

One of several ‘80s movies to imagine how the threat of WWIII would play out is WarGames. What I find interesting about this movie is that the panic ends up being caused by an American. I find that apropos, as while our president places blame on other nations for COVID-19, we have to remember that we will be the ones to make things worse if we don’t act in the correct manner. Politics aside, though, this movie is just really exciting and fun to watch. 

Where to Stream It: IMDbTV (or rent in HD for $3.99 on Amazon Prime)

Full House (1987—1995)

With eight seasons and a successful spin off under its belt, Full House will keep you busy for a long time. I became obsessed with the show through reruns when I was very young, and soon after, my father came across used copies of every season on DVD in one place. It’s safe to say I spent a great deal of my childhood watching it, and I think it is now time for a revisit. By now, I’m sure I’ve lost some of the discs, so the internet is about to come in handy. 

Where to Stream It: Hulu

Mystic Pizza (1988)

Virtual movie night idea: treat yourself by ordering a pizza, or see where you can buy a frozen Mystic Pizza here on your next safe grocery trip. Don’t forget that even though you cannot see them in person, you and your friends should continue to be there for each other. Sync up with them online if you can (maybe create your millionth Zoom meeting while you’re not being charged for over 40 minutes, or do a Group FaceTime). Enjoy Julia Roberts, Annabeth Gish, and Lili Taylor seamlessly pulling off drama and comedy, and look out for Matt Damon in his first film role. Most importantly, relax and have fun. You deserve a break!

Where to Stream It: Hulu with Starz attachment (or rent for $2.99 on Amazon Prime)

If you’re looking for more to do, have no fear. You can always look back at some of my past articles for ideas on what to watch, or keep yourself entertained with music instead. Until next time, stay safe. You’re not alone!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Angelina is a senior at BU, studying English in the College of Arts and Sciences, with a focus on Shakespeare. She is from Somerville, MA. In addition to writing for HCBU, Angelina is the Director of BU On Broadway Off Broadway and has been involved with theater through BU Shakespeare Society, Wandering Minds, and Stage Troupe. Outside of school, she enjoys dancing, music, baking, and movie marathons. Her pop culture heart lives in the 1980's.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.