This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

If you’re reading this, it means Thanksgiving has already passed and nothing can stop the Christmas season from going into full effect. I, for one, am now ready to fully embrace it (less than a month, people!). Still though, it’s hard to believe that there are only a few days of classes left. For those of us at BU whose schedules miraculously worked out luckily enough to have Tuesdays and Thursdays off, there are just five more (Hang in there everyone else, eight days isn’t too shabby, either! I believe in you!).

I’m sure this semester has been grueling for everyone, and you deserve a break. Whether you’re coming out of a food coma or coming down from the burst of energy a Black Friday shopping spree must require, I hope you have enjoyed some time to relax before finals season kicks in. If not, give yourself a couple of hours, and do what I do: watch a movie. Maybe a Christmas movie, if that’s as much your jam as it is mine. Looking for a Bitchin’ Bio of one worth your consideration? I present Gremlins

Release Date: June 8, 1984 — the exact same day as Ghostbusters; re-released August 30, 1985

Synopsis: Struggling inventor Randall Peltzer (Hoyt Axton) finds his son Billy (Zach Galligan) the perfect Christmas present in Chinatown: the mysterious “mogwai,” a creature whose care consists of three essential rules. When one of these rules is accidentally broken by Billy’s pal, Pete (Corey Feldman — hey, we know him!), new mogwai are formed from Gizmo. While he remains loyal to Billy, these unexpected new additions, led by Stripe (voice of Frank Welker) transform into horrific creatures who begin to violently terrorize the town of Kingston Falls, ready and willing to kill. Can Billy save the day? 

Degrees of Kevin Bacon: 1. Frances Lee McCain (Lynn Peltzer) played Bacon’s mother in Footloose (1984).

Come for: The everlasting perfection of adorability that is Gizmo and his musical talent.

Stay for: The knowledge that you can remind unsuspecting friends and family that Howie Mendel voices Gizmo (Why is this fact so weird to me?).

Had I seen it? At least a few times between the time I was little and maybe a couple of years ago, but for some reason, I always have a hard time remembering the majority of the film. 

Do I like it? It’s hard for me to not like a movie when its opening credits are set to “Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)” by Darlene Love, one of my favorite Christmas songs of all time. Speaking of music, the movie’s theme, “Gremlin Rag,” and Gizmo’s little song, the tune of which is beautiful in multiple instrumentals in the movie, are classics among film scores, and there have definitely been moments in my life when they have randomly come into my head to stay a while. 

This movie is definitely not as appropriate for kids as it may seem at first glance. Seeing Gizmo sad or in danger could be upsetting for them (as it was/still is for me). Gremlins also includes a great deal of violence, as well as mentions of suicide and traumatic death. 

The special effects are, frankly, incredible, and the Christmastime setting makes this movie great for this time of year. If you’re someone who likes a mix of sweet and scary, Gremlins is definitely for you. I can’t say I’m as big a fan of it as my older brother and younger sister are, but I can say I like it a lot! 

How’s that for a start to your Christmas season? Join me next time for another 80’s Christmas classic. That’s right, Die Hard (1988).

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets.

Angelina is a senior at BU, studying English in the College of Arts and Sciences, with a focus on Shakespeare. She is from Somerville, MA. In addition to writing for HCBU, Angelina is the Director of BU On Broadway Off Broadway and has been involved with theater through BU Shakespeare Society, Wandering Minds, and Stage Troupe. Outside of school, she enjoys dancing, music, baking, and movie marathons. Her pop culture heart lives in the 1980's.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.