This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

With Halloween right around the corner, it’s the perfect time to watch your favorite spooky movies and TV shows. While Hocus Pocus and Halloweentown are definite classics, you cannot deny that The Office has some of the best Halloween episodes ever. And I’m here to let you know which of those episodes are the best (but obviously watch them all if you have the time because they’re all amazing).

Five: Season 5, Episode 6: “Employee Transfer”

This episode is ranked last on my list simply because only the cold open of the episode is Halloween-themed. However, the cold open is iconic for Creed’s Joker impression. I will never forget the creepy and slightly horrifying way he says, “Let’s put a smile on that face.” Kevin and Dwight are then shown to also be dressed as the Joker, but it is clear that Creed will always be the winner when it comes to playing crazy characters. This episode is also funny for Pam’s awkward moment at her work in New York City, when she is the only one who dresses up for Halloween (and she can’t take off her hat because then she’d look like Hitler).

Four: Season 8, Episode 5: “Spooked”

So much happens in “Spooked.” Andy wants to make the office Halloween party incredibly scary for the new CEO Robert California, Jim and Pam argue about whether or not ghosts exist, Dwight dresses up as Kerrigan from Starcraft (Queen of Blades), and Robert California slowly collects each person’s worst fears and makes them into an utterly terrifying story at the end of the episode. But the best part may be when Dwight teams up with Robert California’s son to try to fire Toby (who, let’s face it, has never been anyone’s favorite).

Three: Season 7, Episode 6: “Costume Contest”

Who doesn’t love this episode? Gabe as Lady Gaga, Kevin as Michael Moore, Stanley as a samurai, Michael as MacGruber, Jim and Pam as Popeye and Olive Oil. Pam has organized a huge costume contest that everyone is super excited about because of the grand prize: the 2011 Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Coupon Book, worth over $15,000 in savings. And as much as Oscar tries to tell them, no one is aware that the book is actually not worth $15,000 (for reasons I do not understand because Oscar is too smart). What makes this episode even more interesting is the rift between Jim and the new guy, Danny Cordray. Danny dated Pam when Jim was in Stamford, Connecticut, so now everyone thinks that Pam must choose between them for some reason, even though she is already married to Jim. But the real kicker is when Oscar wins the costume contest in the end––the one person no one wanted to win.

Two: Season 9, Episode 5: “Here Comes Treble”

As we near the winner of my list, let’s first talk about the runner-up. While most people say that the last season of The Office is the worst one due to Michael’s absence, this Halloween episode does everything right. From Dwight getting a pumpkin stuck on his head, to Andy’s interpretation of George Michael, to Nellie dressing up as Toby, to Oscar’s forbidden romance with the Senator, this episode really makes you feel like it’s Halloween. Andy’s interactions with his Cornell acapella group and his rivalry with former groupmate, Broccoli Rob, keep the episode super entertaining. And Dwight’s pumpkin head journey is and will always be iconic.

One: Season 2, Episode 5: “Halloween”

Now we are finally at number one, “Halloween.” This episode is simply a classic. Michael’s two heads, Pam’s cat, Jim’s “three-hole-punch,” Dwight’s sith lord. But aside from the classic costumes, this episode also brings out real-life fear. Michael is faced with the task of firing someone on Halloween, a very real fear compared to the spooky fun of the holiday. It is obvious that Michael’s agenda for the day scares everyone, especially Jim, who is told by Pam that he should get a better job in Maryland. Real anxieties come out in this episode, bringing back the classic The Office dry humor that we all know and love.

Let’s be real––every Halloween episode of The Office is absolutely stellar and amazing in its comedy and character relationships. But if I absolutely had to choose, this would be my list. Nothing beats Dwight talking to Michael’s fake head saying, “quiet, you” in his sith lord hood.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Hi! My name is Isabelle Durso, and I am a sophomore at Boston University studying Journalism and Film & TV at the College of Communication! I am so excited to be a part of this amazing, empowering community of young women.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.