All Hail the Ipsy Bag: A Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Every month, my heart leaps a little when I receive a shiny pink envelope in the mail. The envelope contains five beauty products that I pay ten dollars a month to receive. I’ve been an Ipsy subscriber since February 2015 and it’s been a great investment for me. If you’re thinking about taking the glam bag plunge, read on to hear my thoughts and see photos of a few of my favorite products from recent bags. 

Reasons To Get An Ipsy Bag:

1. Do you find yourself spending a ton on new products each month?

Illamasqua Precision Ink Eyeliner in Abyss from March 2016 bag.

I’ve been in love with makeup since I was fourteen. And as that love for makeup evolved, so did the cost to my bank account. With Ipsy, I definitely spend less on makeup as I get five new products each month to play around with. I’ll still spend money on my staples but now those crazy lip colors aren’t making a significant dent in my wallet.  

2. Are you too busy to do the research on new products?

Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Oil from February 2016 bag.

As a former makeup head of a theatre department, I rarely buy products without lots of information and swatching. But in college, I barely have time to stay on top of everything going on in my life. The idea of being able to go to Sephora for hours and try a bunch of products is far-off dream. My Ipsy bags let me discover new brands and colors without the extensive research and testing process. 

3. Are you in a bit of a beauty rut?

Pixi Mesmerizing Mineral Duo in Lavender Bloom from January 2016 bag.

Despite my love of makeup sometimes I find myself wearing the same thing day in day out. I grab my foundation, my trusty black eyeliner, a neutral eye shadow and some mascara and that’s it. While that’s fine, Ipsy gives me a chance to easily experiment and switch up my makeup look.

A few things to know:

1. Review, review, review.

Elizabeth Knott Thank Me Later Eye Shadow Primer from December 2015 bag.

When you initially get an Ipsy account, you take a beauty quiz so that they have an idea of what you like. But each month you are able to review the products you receive. So if there was something you really loved or really hated, be sure to review so that your future bags are even more personalized.

2. Sometimes the bags take awhile to come.

Josie Maran Cosmetics 100% Pure Argan Oil Light from November 2015 bag.

It can be frustrating when you expect your bag to arrive early in the month and it takes a lot longer. Just be patient and reach out to Ipsy if there’s a problem.

You can cancel your subscription at anytime so why not give it a go! Who knows, you could even discover your new favorite product.

Catrin is a freshman at Boston University. Although she is a British citizen, she considers Boulder, Colorado as her hometown. She is pursuing a degree in International Relations in the College of Arts and Sciences with a minor in Gender, Sexuality, and Women's studies. She is a lover of cats, theatre, the outdoors, and beauty products. 
K C

BU '18

BU Contributor