The ABCs of Study Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Adventure~ Embrace your time abroad as an adventure. Get out there, try new things, meet new people, and see the world for yourself!

Budgeting~ It’s a harsh reality, but while studying abroad you will likely be spending a lot of money. All the traveling, eating and going out, and shopping is sure to add up. Saving up before you go and sticking to a budget while abroad is key!

Comfort zone or lack there of~ Removing yourself from your comfort zone is what defines study abroad. You will be hundreds to thousands of miles away from the familiarity of home, family, and friends most likely for the first time. This can be slightly nerve-wracking and scary; But some of life’s most gratifying and memorable experiences are born from fears.

Diet~ Before I start raving about the amazing food you’ll have abroad, I want to drop a friendly reminder that gaining weight abroad is far too easy and pretty much inevitable. You’ve been warned.

Enjoy~ This ones simple- enjoy every minute of your time abroad! I sound like a broken record but it’s truly a once in a lifetime experience.

Food~ Calling a new country home means access to an abundance of new delicious and mouth-watering foods. Enough said.

Go with the flow~ Don’t plan every second of every day of your time abroad. Leave room for spontaneity and try not to be disappointed when things aren’t as you hoped. Going with the flow and approaching each opportunity and challenge with a smile on your face will leave you with the most rewarding study abroad experience.

Homesickness~ When you are so far from familiarity, you are bound to get homesick. Whether you miss your family, friends, pets, hometown, or school, do not worry, the down feelings will pass. Keep yourself as distracted as possible and if it helps to talk to someone, then do. I will guarantee you; you are not the only one missing home.

Individuality~ Your time abroad is exactly that, yours! Take advantage of your independence and this opportunity to cross off all your bucket list items. You can and should make what you want out of your study abroad experience.

Jump right in~ This is the perfect time to try new things, meet new people, and see new sights. Take advantage of this once in a lifetime experience and don’t let anything hold you back!

Knowledge~ Know what you are getting yourself into before you go abroad! Not only should you make sure you understand the program, but also where it is you’ll be calling home for the next few months. Studying up on the language and customs before studying abroad never hurt anybody.

Long Distance~ Whether its with your family, friends, or significant other, throwing distance in a relationship can be a huge bummer. Before you go abroad make sure to speak with everyone about how you’ll stay in touch abroad and while abroad stick with what you discussed. A common theme and key to long distance in no matter relationship is communication!

Meet new people~ Not only should you take this chance to meet new people in your program, but also get out there and meet some natives! They make great guides and lifelong friends.

Nightlife~ Unlike America, many countries have a drinking age of 18; so if you happen to be going abroad before your 21st birthday, you are basically cheating the system. Enjoy all the great nightlife options your new home has to offer, but don’t forget to remain on the safe side. The most important thing to remember while abroad, especially as a collegiette, is to stick with a friend.

Open your mind~ As soon as you leave America, it will feel like you have entered a whole new world. You will be introduced to a new culture, entirely different than your own. Take this opportunity to open your mind to new values, beliefs, and ideas and take the time to reflect on your own.

Packing~ Packing your life into a single suitcase is no easy feat. Be smart collegiettes! Think about where you’ll be, the time of year, the weather, and what you’ll be up to. I recommend sticking with the basics that can be mixed and matched and dressed up and down. Don’t make the biggest mistake and leave your favorite clothing item behind; trust me, you’ll have major regrets.

Quality over quantity~ You want every moment you have abroad to be meaningful and memorable. It shouldn’t be about doing as many things as you can in the shortest amount of time possible or seeing how many Instragram pictures you can get out of it. Take the time to appreciate all that your new home has to offer!

Rest & Relaxation~ Don’t feel pressured to be doing something all the time. You are going to crash and burn if you don’t give yourself some rest & relaxation. You and Netflix can still be best buds even though you’re abroad.

Social media~ Please don’t bury your face in your phone or laptop while studying abroad! It is so not worth mindlessly scrolling through your twitter feed, when you could be trying new things, meeting new people, or seeing new sights while abroad. Slow down when it comes to social media and you’ll realize the joys of being technology and distraction free.

Trust yourself~ No matter what, you should always trust yourself abroad. Outside the bubble of your comfort zone, your instincts are your best resource. If your gut is sending you warning signals, listen!

University~ Unfortunately, actually going to school is a big part of studying abroad. As tempting as it is, try not to skip class too much and make sure you are doing the work. Without a doubt, you’ll regret throwing away all your past semesters of hard work, just because you became a major slacker abroad.

Vary your experience~ Have I mentioned this is a once in a lifetime experience enough yet? Do you really want to look back and realize you did the same thing every week and never be able to get that time back? I think not. I suggest creating the classic bucket list and make it a goal to do something new each week

Write it down~ You are going to want to remember your time abroad and pictures alone won’t do your experience justice. I suggest either starting a blog or writing in a journal! If writing really isn’t your thing, Tumblr or Instragram will come in handy. Keep a record of your experience for yourself and to share with your friends and family once you return home. 

X marks the spot~ It’s a no-brainer that you’ll be traveling during your study abroad experience. To optimize the little time you, don’t forget to get certain things in line before you hop on the next plane. Maybe think about what you’ll be getting up to, how you’ll be getting around, and where you’ll be staying for starters.

Yes!~ If you want to have zero regrets while studying abroad, you need to say yes! Saying yes to study abroad is what got you this experience in the first place, and look how amazingly well that turned out. Keep up the positive energy and just say yes.

Zero expectations~ The biggest mistake you could ever make studying abroad is having expectations. Don’t have any expectations, and you will never be disappointed!

Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis