Abby’s Weekly Music Review— Omar Apollo, The Marias, and More

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

There was plenty of new music to go around this Friday. While some songs hit the spot and others weren’t as satisfying, I break it all down in this week’s new music review installment.

Apolonio by Omar Apollo

Yesterday, Omar Apollo released his third project dubbed Apolonio and fans are eating it up. Apollo breaks the mold of alternative musicians, blending Spanish and R&B influences to create a groovy, unique sound I haven’t heard anywhere else. Apolonio is a special project and I thoroughly enjoyed listening to all nine songs. “Kamikaze” will have you dancing on your bed and “Dos Uno Nueve (219)” is one of the best tracks I’ve heard from Apollo. Regardless of what music genre you lean towards, Omar Apollo has something for everyone on this new album.

“Only Time Makes It Human” by King Princess

King Princess dropped her new single “Only Time Makes It Human,” a funky, house music-like song that leaves something to be desired. King Princess quickly grew in popularity last year with the release of her first album Cheap Queen. She has been hugely popular among the LGBTQ+ community, singing about same-sex relationships and bending gender norms. However, this new track misses the mark for me. The lyrics are there, but the constant stream of “La la la’s” in between the verses got on my nerves. I preferred her sound on her Make My Bed EP so I am interested to see what direction she takes her music in the next year.

‘Care For You’ by The Marias

One of my favorite releases from this Friday was “Care For You” by The Marias. The sultry, lowkey song emphasizes Maria’s vocal talent and sensuality. The group also released a music video for the track which was full of serene images of snakes, waterfalls, and beautiful women. The song was inspired by Maria’s home in the mountains of Puerto Rico, the group wanting to transport the listener to their own little rainforest. They certainly were successful, the listener easily slipping into the relaxed, groovy atmosphere that this track creates.

Before EP by James Blake

James Blake is a singer who has been around for a while. However, I just discovered the talented musician this summer and I’m so glad that I did. This Friday, Blake dropped a four-track EP titled Before. The short project emphasizes the different directions the musician is taking his sound. Previous work has felt more classical, but Blake’s new project blends his immaculate voice with thumping beats and synth sounds. I am a huge fan of both styles and I love to see James Blake exploring new territory with his music.

Tune in again next Sunday to hear my opinions on next week’s new releases. Or, follow my Spotify for more music suggestions!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!​

Abby Gross is a sophomore at BU studying neuroscience! Shawty likes listening to music, being outside, eating dim sum, and hanging out with neat people.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.