Abby’s Weekly Music Review— LANY, beabadoobee, and More

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

This week was another great week for new music releases. With long-anticipated album releases and surprise single drops alike, there were plenty of options to make everyone happy this New Music Friday. 

mama’s boy by LANY

LANY released their third studio album, mama’s boy, this week and fans are already raving about it. LANY, a three-part band headed by Paul Jason Klein, has been a favorite among my friends for the past few years. Their sound is easily identifiable, with songs full of synthy, electropop beats, floaty guitar tunes, and adorable lyrics. On mama’s boy, the band pushes their sound even further with fourteen heartfelt and emotional songs. Touching on subjects of family, past love, religion, and home, the tracks on mama’s boy feel more personal than ever before. You can really feel the emotion behind the lyrics on all the songs. Standouts include the painfully honest “nobody else” and the nastily catchy “you!” This album was a great release for LANY and I already know I’ll be bumping it in the months to come.

How Was Your Day? by beabadoobee

Beabadoobee’s “How Was Your Day?” is a simple and sweet track that will have you feeling nostalgic in no time. “How Was Your Day?” focuses on missing a past relationship, even all the bad parts. With just beabadoobee’s voice and a quiet guitar strumming pattern, the song is honest and to the point. Beabadoobee is quickly growing in popularity, and with releases like “How Was Your Day?,” she is proving that she deserves the spotlight. 

La Luz by Kali Uchis and Jhay Cortez

Kali Uchis dropped a new single on Friday and I can’t get enough of it. The song is completely in Spanish and features Jhay Cortez, a Puerto Rican singer-songwriter. Uchis prefaced the track’s release with a Tweet, underscoring the fact that her English listeners will be disappointed because they often won’t take the time to listen to music they can’t understand. She urges listeners to expand their taste and listen to music in different languages. That being said, “La Luz” is the perfect song to do that with. Uchis’ vocals sound sultry, and when paired with the thumping backbeat, it’s hard to deny that the song is a bop.

Backyard Boy – Stripped by Claire Rosinkranz

If you’re on Tiktok then you’ve definitely heard “Backyard Boy” by Claire Rosinkranz. The snappy, upbeat song gets stuck in my head the minute I hear Rosinkranz open with the tune’s signature “5, 6, 7, 8….” On Friday, a simpler, stripped version was released, emphasizing Rosinkranz’s vocal talent. While the lyrics are the same, the song feels completely different. This version is groovy and more nuanced, with subtle bass lines and a quiet beat. One of my favorite things is hearing different takes on songs I know and love, and this track is no exception.

Tune in again next Sunday to hear my opinions on next week’s new releases. Or, follow my Spotify for more music suggestions!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Abby Gross is a sophomore at BU studying neuroscience! Shawty likes listening to music, being outside, eating dim sum, and hanging out with neat people.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.