Abby’s Album A Day: Quarantine Edition, Part II

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Another week of listening to an album a day! I have to say, this week I primarily listened to albums I’ve heard before. I find it much easier to pay attention to studying when I already know the music I’m listening to. That being said, re-listening to albums often allows me to notice new details that add different layers to each piece. Here are my weekly listens.

Girl Holding Vinyl Record
Breanna Coon / Her Campus

Monday, April 13: Patched Up by beabadoobee

I actually have seen beabadoobee in concert twice, as she opened for Clairo when I went to see her last November. However, I was too distracted by my anticipation for Claire Cottrill to pay much attention to beabadoobee’s set. Her songs are soft and feel cloudy. They’re very cute and perfect for relaxing or sitting outside in the sun. I loved the guitar picking sequences throughout the album. Beabadoobee has some great singles out as well. If you’re a fan of lo-fi music, I would check her out. 

Tuesday, April 14: Heard It In A Past Life by Maggie Rogers

This album is one of my favorite albums of all time. Maggie combines folk sounds with upbeat pop music so well. I love how she uses sounds she recorded on hikes in her music. The lyrics and production are very well thought out and pair well with her talented vocals. The details in each song combine to make the album such a successful piece. The background vocals in ‘Alaska.’ The opening drum beat on ‘Fallingwater.’ The story behind the lyrics on ‘Back In My Body.’ It’s SO GOOD. I could rave about this one for years. 

Wednesday, April 15: Either/Or by Elliott Smith

Elliott Smith has inspired a lot of my favorite artists, which is the main reason why I was motivated to listen to him. This album is known for its double-tracked vocals. The harmony between the two vocal parts adds nuance to each song. Additionally, the fingerpicking guitar parts are intricate and special. When I first heard this album last winter I was put off by it, but repeated listens have allowed it to grow on me. Elliott Smith is definitely a unique and talented artist.

Thursday, April 16: Lately EP by Still Woozy

Still Woozy is undoubtedly one of my favorite bands. The group, run by a young man named Sven, has a funky sound that is so distinct from anything I’ve ever heard. Their music makes me want to dance and wiggle around. The bass parts are groovy, the lyrics are clever and thought-provoking, and the overall sound is hard to describe. You really just have to hear it for yourself. While this is only an EP, I am eagerly awaiting the release of their first album. Check out their new single, ‘Window,’ here.  

Friday, April 17: Fetch The Bolt Cutters by Fiona Apple

Fiona Apple has been around for quite some time. On Friday, she released her first album after an eight-year hiatus. When I first listened to the album it definitely took me by surprise. Fetch The Bolt Cutters breaks the mold of typical albums. The songs are full of random sounds, from dog barks to idiosyncratic drumming. The album is innovative and unconventional. The songs are charged with emotion and are unapologetic for their uniqueness. While I didn’t love it the first time through, I definitely can appreciate Apple’s artistic choices. This is a work that I could see growing on me the more I listen to it.

Saturday, April 18: LANY by LANY

I’ve listened to this album many times through. Released in 2017 as LANY’s debut album, these tracks started off the band’s career on the right foot. They successfully establish their sound with the particular use of the synth paired with Paul’s voice. The lyrics are seemingly simple but convey a lot of emotion in their delivery. Yet, having since heard the band’s second album, I think this piece is much weaker. It is a long album with 16 tracks making the final cut. The band could have easily cut out a few of the tracks that feel repetitive and made it an overall stronger release. Still, it’s a great album with lots of songs that make me want to dance.

Sunday, April 19: Nicole Kidman / Anne Hathaway by Hana Vu

Hana Vu is another artist I’ve heard open at a separate concert. This album is divided into two discs, each with five songs. Overall, this album didn’t strike me as anything especially impressive. It had some solid tracks (see ‘At The Party’ and ‘Insider’) but many of the tracks blended together for me. She definitely branches out from her usual sound and tries new things with reverb and vocal layering. I know Hana Vu is just starting her music career, so this release is a solid start to grow from.

black headphones on a yellow background
Malte Wingen on Unsplash

This week was full of re-listens and new releases. I love hearing new music while still appreciating tunes I know by heart. If you are looking for more music recommendations, you can check out my Spotify.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!  

Abby Gross is a sophomore at BU studying neuroscience! Shawty likes listening to music, being outside, eating dim sum, and hanging out with neat people.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.