Life > Experiences

A Single Girl’s Guide To The Perfect Galentine’s Day 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Being single on Valentine’s Day doesn’t mean you can’t have fun. Despite spending the day stalking your ex or being surprised that your Instagram mutuals have a valentine to post, there is so much to do. Why not spend it with your besties? Here are six must-haves for a wonderful night with friends! 

Charcuterie board

What better way to kick off Galentine’s than with a delectable spread of cheese, crackers, and cured meat? Maybe add in some chocolates, strawberries, or any other snacks the squad brings over for optimal enjoyment. Some fan favorites are chocolate-covered pretzels, macarons, conversation hearts, and Trader Joe’s X’s and O’s gummies. You can also wow everyone with a Chick-fil-A heart-shaped tray of nuggets, chicken minis, and brownies, which never go wrong. 

Pick a romcom that will surely make you cry (FROM loneliness, of course) 

This Valentine’s Day, my friends and I watched How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. It was my first time watching it, and all I can say is wow! Despite the periodic secondhand embarrassment, this movie was an amazing choice. Where is my Matthew McConaughey, though? Choosing a romcom is a critical step in Galentine’s, especially for all of us singles who need something to manifest for our future relationships. Hopefully, I can be in Kate Hudson’s position sometime soon. In the meantime, here are some other great must-watches: 10 Things I Hate About You, The Proposal, 500 Days of Summer, When Harry Met Sally, Anyone But You, and if you really want to sob, La La Land.

Get out the digital camera 

Everyone dressed in pink and red will surely make for the cutest photos, along with any snacks or decor! Bonus points if everyone has matching PJs! Of course, make sure to share these iconic party flicks on Instagram and hit them with witty Galentine’s captions like “no boys allowed” or “ladies celebrating ladies.” Who needs a man when you have your girlfriends?

A beverage of choice 

I opted for a classic this year – the Shirley Temple – but let your creativity run wild. A raspberry rose-flavored Poppi is always a good choice, or if you’re feeling it, go for something cheekier! A pink-themed mocktail with sugared rim, and some cotton candy garnish will surely make the evening bubbly. 

Exchange Valentines!

Express your gratitude for your BFFs by exchanging valentines. This can be flowers, small gifts, or chocolate, which never goes wrong — especially since it won’t be coming from a special someone! You can get creative and make friendship bracelets, write everyone a heartfelt note, or if you’re feeling up to it, make personalized gift baskets. Of course, tie everything up in a cute pink or red bow. 

Enjoy the time with the gals 

This is arguably the most important step as this is a Galentine’s Day party after all! Adorable couples have made all the single people cringe all day, so what’s better than unwinding with a movie and snacks with the girls who will always be number one?

With these essentials, you are bound to forget the loneliness of Valentine’s Day and instead share wonderful memories with friends. Of course, the day after might be a bit rough too, as it is Singles Awareness Day — but who cares? Nothing beats the gals. 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!

Kendall Lepczyk is a writer for the Her Campus at BU chapter, and enjoys to write creatively. Kendall is a freshman at Boston University, majoring in journalism. In her free time, Kendall enjoys reviewing films on Letterboxd, playing vinyls, and making Pinterest boards. When she's not writing she is probably reading (mostly fantasy books). She also spends the summer time coaching youth lacrosse.