This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Let me introduce you to my new obsession: One Day at a Time. It’s a Netflix show centered around the Alvarezs, a Cuban-American family and their landlord, Schneider. You follow along as they go through life and deal with its many challenges.

The third season just premiered on Netflix, so it’s the perfect time to binge all three seasons.

Below are nine reasons why you should watch this show:

1. It covers important Issues such as immigration, racism, mental illness, religion, and more.

One Day at a Time does not shy away from covering any real-world issues. We see each of the family members go through life and deal with everything that comes their way. For example, Penelope, the matriarch of the family, is an army veteran and lives with anxiety and depression. Throughout the course of the show, we see her journey through coming to terms with her mental illness and learning to live with it. What’s also really great about this show is that every plotline carries throughout the entire show. Penelope is continually learning to cope with her anxiety and depression. It’s so refreshing to see someone realistically live with a mental illness, as well as to see people go through real-life challenges.

2. Diversity.

One Day at a Time champions diversity. The show tells the story of so many different people. We see gay characters, Latinx characters, non-binary characters, Jewish characters, etc. What makes this show even greater is that no character is simplified to a single identity. Each character, even secondary characters, are complex and well-rounded. I love seeing so many different identities represented. You are bound to find a character that you can relate to.

3. There’s even a non-binary character.

It was honestly amazing when the show introduced Syd, Elena’s significant other. There aren’t many shows out right now that have a non-binary character. What is so great about Syd and their character, is that once they were introduced as non-binary, everyone openly accepted them and did not once misgender them. Syd, along with every other character on the show, is just as complex and well-rounded. It’s so important to have representation of non-binary characters to show young people that this is something they can identify as and that it’s okay to be non-binary. (Also, the pet name Elena has for Syd is so cute, like Syd-nificant other?)

4. It features a healthy, gay, teen relationship.

Elena and Syd are honestly relationship goals! They represent such a healthy relationship that is a model for many young people both gay and straight. Both people respect each other and they each make sure the other is comfortable with whatever they choose to do. One of the most heartwarming interactions between the two characters is a moment from the third season. *Spoiler Alert* The two decide they are ready to have sex, but when Elena says she may not actually feel ready, Syd is completely understanding. Syd even tells Elena that it is okay if they never have sex at all, which is so understanding and accepting of the fact that Elena could even be asexual. This part of their relationship shows the importance of consent and communication within a relationship.

5. All the feels!

This show will have you laughing and crying. You will feel all the feels. The cast does such a great job portraying the lives of these characters. You just can’t help feeling emotional when you see these characters go through their lives.

6. The characters are relatable and lovable.

All the characters are so amazing and their relationships are so heartwarming. Elena and Alex are sibling goals and always support each other. Schneider is always trying to learn about Cuban culture to be more a part of the Alvarez family. They always have each other’s backs.

7. Elena Alvarez.

Elena Alvarez is a sweet cinnamon roll that needs to be protected at all costs! She is always fighting for human rights and respect for all people. She is such a strong, young woman. She is an amazing role model. No matter what comes her way, she is able to get through it so gracefully. Also, she is such a lovable dork that you can’t help but love her.

8. Penelope and Schneider’s friendship.

Honestly, such friendship goals! They are so supportive of each other. Whenever a problem arises they are right there for each other. Even when one does something wrong, they are still supportive of each other. Also, their chemistry is so enviable; seeing the love they have for each other is so amazing!

9. Rita Moreno.

Rita Moreno. Do I even have to say more? Rita Moreno is an award-winning actress that has been part of so many amazing works, including Singing in the Rain, West Side Story, and The King and I. Rita Moreno is a household name. She makes the show that much better with her amazing performance as Lydia Riera.

It’s not like I binged the entire third season in one day or anything…. Anyways, if you couldn’t tell by all my fangirling, I love this show! I mean, who wouldn’t? There are nine great reasons why you would. So, now that you know how amazing this show is, go grab a snack and settle in for three seasons of bingeworthy greatness.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

MyChalia is a freshman majoring in English Education in the Wheelock College of Education and Human Development at Boston University. She has a passion for education and social justice, as well as creating a loving and accepting community for all regardless of race, gender, sexual identity, etc. MyChalia also has a passion for reading and creative writing. She can be found lost in the isles of a Barnes n' Noble or chilling in a random Boston cafe drinking iced coffee.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.