8 Thoughts You Have While Studying in Mugar Library

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Mugar Library is a staple on campus at Boston University. Whether you’re actually studying or pretending to be a book worm, I’m sure all BU students have had some of these thoughts while in Mugar.

1. Can the couple next to me get a room?

I hate PDA. It’s bad enough when you’re on the T or at the dining hall, but in the library it’s even worse. There’s nothing worse than trying to study for your humanities midterm while the couple next to you can’t stop touching each other

2. Why does it feel like I’ve stepping back into the ’70s?

Mugar Library feels a little outdated. It’s musty and overwhelming, and it feels like time stopped mid-70s.

3. It’s so quiet!

Mugar Library is usually quiet, and sometimes my friends and I get death stares when we first walk into the library. Which, honestly, I get and I apologize on behalf of us all.

4. My friend hooked up with one of the boys over there studying.

When a big group of guys are studying at a long table, it’s inevitable you’ll see someone you recognize. Maybe your best friend hooked up with him or some variation of that story, and you’ll probably make awkward eye contact and go back to studying. Maybe you’ll even send your friend a quick snapchat to remind her.

5. I wonder if there’s a floor where people make out?

Have you ever seen the movie The Prince and Me? If so, you’ll know the scene to which I’m referring. Actually, have you seen almost any coming of age movie? A common theme seems to be making out in a library, and I’m sure Mugar is no exception.

6. I hate studying.

This thought is inevitable and will probably be grouped with the thoughts, “I’m drowning in work” and “I’m dying.”

7. Do people actually check out books from the library?

Do they? Doesn’t everyone use online databases now?

8. Why does this place look like a prison?

Seriously. This is a serious question. The gates with locks in the stairwell are a nice touch. Very prison- esque .

Mugar Memorial Library: gotta love it, gotta hate it. Either way, you’ll catch me there! Hey! I gotta find somewhere to get my work done!

Hometown: St. Paul, MN City Editor at the BU Buzz
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.