8 Signs You’re an Extroverted Introvert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Are you an introvert who still loves to get out and meet new people? Maybe you just have a love/hate relationship with other people in general. Whatever it is, it’s quite hard to label what “type” of person you are based on your interactions. For instance, most people would think I’m an introvert because I’m usually the quiet one and that’s the personality that gets the most attention. The other side of me, the side that goes out and becomes a social butterfly, does not get that much attention. So if you’re anything like me, someone who falls in between the two extremes, here are 8 signs that might indicate you’re an extroverted introvert.

1. You prefer to hang out with someone one-on-one, rather than in groups.

I would prefer to spend time with people who really matter to me and have meaningful conversations with, rather than small-talking with a bunch of people at once.

2. You want to be around people but love having alone time.

I could go out to parties and have the best time of my life socializing, but I still enjoy the bliss of going an entire day without social interaction.

3. You think twice before going out.

There are often times when I would cancel or think of canceling plans before I leave the house — even when I know that I’ll have fun once I get there.

4. You hate talking to people on the phone for more than a minute but you could text them for hours.

I could text someone for hours gossiping or having deep conversations, but when it comes to calling the person, I find myself having nothing to say after the first two minutes.

5. You love sitting near windows.

Whether you’re studying or just eating, you feel the need to sit near a window so that you can see other people without the need to engage with them.

6. You’re still in touch with your long-lost friends.

I’m still really close with some friends I made in preschool — even though I haven’t seen them in years. We might only FaceTime or message each other once a year, but when we finally get together, it’s as if nothing has changed. Friendships that require work and constant attention don’t work well with extroverted introverts.

7. You’re usually the quiet one but that doesn’t mean you don’t like to talk.

Yes. I am that person who might only get a single word in when part of a group, but I could probably talk the most in smaller settings. One-on-one conversations are more my forte.

8. You’re a great listener.

You love listening to what other people have to say, even when you’re not the one talking because sometimes even being around people and listening to their stories can be enough stimulation for socializing.

Sometimes there are just phases where you are one of the two extremes. It might be tricky to identify your own personality, but that’s just another great thing about extroverted introverts — we can easily alternate between phases of solitude and periods of social activity. In the end, it’s all about understanding your own zones and appreciating your unique style!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.