8 Short Haircuts to Inspire Your New Year’s Impulse Chop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Two weeks ago, I fell into the thinking trap every girl gets into around January 1: “I haven’t done anything different with my hair in a long time.” So, because New Year’s is a time when we’re hardwired to naturally seek out change, I immediately scheduled a hair appointment and never looked back.

In the end, I ended up chopping off a ponytail containing about nine inches of my hair – which helped me reach my longtime goal of donating to Locks of Love. I almost immediately hated it, wishing for nothing more than my long, wavy mane back, until a couple days later when I embraced all the styling possibilities and low-maintenance styles available to short-haired gals.

If there’s anything I’d tell someone who’s thinking about snipping their hair this January, it’s that short hair literally feels like an enormous weight lifted off your shoulders. Short hair is anything but boring to style – in fact, it’s awesome! Curling my hair now takes ten minutes instead of a full hour, and beachy texture holds better in my thick locks than ever before.

Still don’t believe that an adventurous short ‘do can be stylish? Check out the eight photos below for some much-needed “hairspiration” if you’re thinking about making the “New year, new me” chop like I did…

(All photos sourced from Pinterest)

1. This Messy Half-Updo

There’s nothing I love more about my new bob than being able to put my hair in a half-ponytail and leave the house. Zero effort whatsoever? Sign me up!

2. This Blunt Cut

Blunt edges lend a modern take to the classic choppy bob. At the risk of sounding too much like Cher from Clueless, it’s, like, totally “in” right now.

3. Lucy Hale’s Effortless Waves

Repeat after me: curl your short haircut away from your face. As someone who’s made the mistake of curling inward many a time before, just trust me on this one.

4. A Cascade of Waterfall Braids

I can’t waterfall braid for my life, but if I could, this would be the only hairstyle you’d see on my head until I’m in the ground. It’s just…so…pretty….

5. These Blunt Bangs

If Nina Dobrev is doing it, then so am I. In an alternate universe where I’m much, much braver, that is.

6. This Inverted Pixie

I know I just cut my hair, but this look has me ready to go under the scissors again in three….two….one….

Just kidding. But this cut is on my hair bucket list!

7. The Tapered Natural ‘Do

There may be a range of hair colors, textures and styles out there, but this photo’s here to prove that the New Year’s impulse cut is for everybody.

8. Our Lord and Savior Demi Lovato

Because if Demi can pull it off, so can you. So can all of us. Amen.

If you’re not already on the phone with your stylist, it’s time to keep scrolling through Her Campus for more hair-inspo. And if you’re sitting in the salon chair already while reading this…well, good luck, and more power to you!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

College beauty & wellness blogger at Haley Marie Blog (www.haleymarieblog.com). Former Associate City News Editor for the Daily Free Press. Mass Communications major with a minor in Political Science.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.