8 Savvy and Simple Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Here’s the problem: Halloween is just around the corner, and you’re a broke college girl in dire need of a clever, cute, and cheap costume for this year’s festivities at BU. Have no fear, the list for you is here!

1. The Powerpuff Girls 

Looking for a costume that includes sugar, spice and everything nice? Grab your two besties and head on over to the nearest Forever 21 or H&M to get the pieces for this adorable anime look!

For Blossom: Hot pink dress, black belt, white tights, red bow clip or ribbon, sneakers.

For Bubbles: Light blue dress, black belt, white tights, hair ties for pigtails, sneakers.

For Buttercup: Bright green dress, black belt, white tights, and sneakers.

2. Any Katy Perry Look

Katy is the princess of pop, and so incredibly fashion forward. For her bright and bold fashion, head over to Forever 21 or your local thrift store to recreate these fabulous looks. Feel free to choose any Katy outfit— they’re all pretty iconic!

For Her “Roar” Look: Leopard print bra/tank top/bustier/fabric and sandals. For the skirt and flower crown, go to a local dollar or craft store and purchase some fake flowers to hot glue to a cheap skirt for the bottoms and some string or ribbon for the crown. If you’re in a pinch, construction paper works just as well! Don’t forget to wear shorties under your skirt!

For Her “Last Friday Night” Look: Hot pink crop top, neon skirt, stilettos, big bright earrings, and chunky bracelets. Top it all off with some bright lipstick and eyeshadow and some frizzy hair for an adorable ‘80s look!

For Her Vintage ‘60s “One of the Boys” Vibe: Grab a sparkly bustier top or blouse and some high waisted shorties. Pair with a big floppy sun hat and some big bouncy curls and you’re already there! You can find all of this at a thrift store!

3. Bad Blood Baddies 

Grab your best girlfriends and team up to recreate Taylor’s iconic music video for her hit song “Bad Blood.”

What You’ll Need: Leather, leather, and more leather! Leather pants, jackets, tops, boots, you name it! Go for some strappy bralettes, bustiers, shorties, leggings, and studs! You can pick up some studs from your local craft store to add to your jacket and jewelry to look even more badass! You don’t even really need to go out and buy anything, and all the girls can make their own unique outfit… easy as pie.

4. Medusa 

This super easy Greek mythological villainess can help you get in touch with your evil side.

How to Get Her Look: White or cream dress (which you or one of your friends could have), gold Grecian jewelry (you can get this for cheap at Forever 21), sandals, and a bunch of rubber snakes from your local dollar store. Pin them in your hair to get her slimy, slithery ‘do!

5. The Girls from Full House

These adorable girls stole our hearts from day one, and with the Netflix Original Series Fuller House just around the corner, you’re sure to turn heads with one of these iconic outfits!

For Stephanie Tanner: An oversized floral top, paired with leggings, bunchy socks, and white sneakers or Keds will do the trick. Don’t forget her signature scrunchie half-up hairdo!

For DJ Tanner: Find a cute ‘90s inspired oversized sweater from your local thrift store. Wear it with leggings, leg warmers, and boots or Keds for her classic look.

For Kimmy Gibbler: Feel free to go all out with this one! As DJ’s insanely crazy best friend, wear lots of mismatched layers—a bright oversized sweatshirt with brightly colored leggings, legwarmers, and sneakers with frizzy hair and a scrunchie for her unhinged look.

6. Miss Frizzle

Bring the world’s most beloved teacher to life with this kooky combination, super easy to find at a thrift store or DIY’ed from your own closet.

What You’ll Need: A dress with a funky themed pattern. It can be literally anything. Or, you could go for a bright solid colored dress and add construction paper cutouts all over. Complete the look with a curly ‘do and appropriately themed jewelry.

7. Zenon

Zedis lapedis! Look out of this world this Halloween by copycatting the style of our favorite interplanetary gal. Find your pieces at Target or Forever 21.

To Get The Look: Find a solid, brightly colored long sleeve shirt and matching/similar tights. Go for a skirt or shorties in a metallic or other bright shade, and a vest or jacket. Wear with black boots or sneakers.

8. The Female Flintstones

Go for something uber simple with these perfectly prehistoric outfits from the lovely ladies of Bedrock. Easy to find in your own closet, or make yourself! (And you don’t even have to wear shoes!)

For Wilma: Just a white dress and big white pearls and pearl earrings. Wear your hair in a sock bun for that finishing touch!

For Betty: A blue dress and matching hairbow, complete with a silver or white pendant necklace and pearl earrings.

For Pebbles: A pink dress or pink top and black skirt. Add black dino polka dots to the pink parts. For the hair bone, you can DIY it with some air bake clay.

With these ideas in mind, you’ll be the cutest and most stylish girl at the party. So head on down to the Goodwill on West Campus, City Target, a consignment shop on Newbury Street, pop on over to Primark, or ask around the girls on your floor for your key pieces. Happy Halloween collegiettes!

Zoe is a Senior at Boston University in the College of Communication, majoring in Public Relations and minoring in English and Psychology, and is the Campus Correspondent for her chapter. Originally from the Washington DC area, Zoe loves going to museums, concerts, and working at Baby Gap. In her free time, Zoe can be found crafting, watching Netflix, and scoping out the latest trends. Always catch her yelling enthusiastically about something, or making really corny jokes.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.