Small Pumpkin In Hand
Small Pumpkin In Hand
Anna Thetard / Her Campus

8 Festive Fall Things To Do To Save Your 2020

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

In the midst of October, fall is in full swing. Orange lights glowing on the wall, fake cobwebs hanging from every corner, and every doorstep decked out with a pumpkin––sights that feel as right as rain. If you are anything like me, you are probably counting on the season of fall to bring you a year’s capacity of happiness—enough to make up for the setbacks of 2020. This means embracing fall and its seasonal joys—in fact, I’ve given you 8 of them to do in order to ensure that your fall is as festive as possible.

Go apple picking

There is nothing that screams fall in New England quite like apple picking. And luckily for us at BU, there are several apple orchards nearby. Last weekend I went to Honey Pot Hill, and I was so thankful that the wide, open space of the orchard made social distancing an easy accomplishment. The weather was beautiful AND I had the chance to dress up in a cute sweater. What was better though, were the delicious, hand-picked apples waiting for me as a reward.

Drink apple cider and go on a nature walk

What is more therapeutic than exposing yourself to the fall foliage around you with a cup of hot (or iced, depending on your preference) apple cider in your hand. Fall is everywhere; the taste in your mouth, the feeling in your toes as you let the leaves crunch underneath your boots, and the sight in your eyes as you venture into the beauty of nature around you.

Go on a ghost tour

What’s spooky season without feeling a little spooked? Ghost tours are offered via reservation throughout Boston, everywhere from Cambridge Historical Tours to Boston Ghost Tours by the Seaport. If this seems too frightening, try telling scary stories instead—that way you can put your own twist on the ending.

Get lost in a corn maze

Whether you go through a haunted corn maze at night or a massive maze in the sunlight, make sure to take in all the autumn vibes with this venture. Getting lost is the fun part—it makes finding your way out even better.

Go on a hayride

Where there’s a farm, there’s usually a hayride to embark on. If you’re feeling ~extra spooky~ then you can spice it up and venture on a haunted hayride. Either way, this is your chance to kick back, take a deep breath full of autumn air, and enjoy the ride.

Carve a pumpkin

Maybe this is something you haven’t done since you were little, but it is a classic Halloween tradition for a reason. You’ll feel nostalgic as you decide on the design to carve, and you’ll feel overjoyed as you watch yourself create the vision.

Watch Halloween movies

Picture this: a day spent binge-watching your spooky favorites. Whether you watch classics such as Hocus Pocus or horror films like Stephen King’s It, you’ll feel the spirit of spooky season alive in your bones. Make a cup of hot chocolate to keep you warm while you laugh or scream your way through the marathon.

Spend time with the ones you love

Of course, a thousand different fall bucket lists can be created. You can watch every movie and go to every local apple orchard and it would not mean anything if you didn’t spend these moments with the people you love. Whether it be family, friends, or an SO—fall will be that much better because you spent it with the people most important to you.

So go, do with this list what you will. Spend time by the fire, on the couch, or outside with your loved ones. I hope this fall, you are overjoyed with the beauty around you.

Because there is so much beauty to see when you really look.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Ava is a pre-law senior at Boston University studying English with a minor in history. She loves traveling, drinking excessive amounts of hot chocolate, creative writing, and skydiving. You can find her on instagram @avazing !
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.