This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Over the years, TV has brought us some pretty amazing cast chemistry and some of the strongest of these relationships have been the friendships of our favorite leading ladies. These female duos made viewers laugh, cry, and even made some of us re-evaluate our own friendships. Here are some female TV friendships that were major goals!

Leslie Knope and Ann Perkins —  Parks and Rec

Most friendships don’t start out at town meetings, but the iconic relationship between Leslie Knope and Ann Perkins would not have happened without concerns over the infamous pit. These two bonded over wanting to make Pawnee a safer community and realized that each was the missing link they needed in each other’s lives. While we still cringe a little when we think of Mark Brendanawicz, we can’t forget how cool Leslie was for being chill with Ann dating him. And while it was hard to outdo Leslie, who literally was the perfect gift-giver, Ann always tried her best to make Leslie happy, even when it was fighting with Ben over a waffle maker from JJ’s Diner. Ann may have moved back home to Michigan, but she and Leslie remained close regardless of the distance, with Ann naming her daughter Leslie. Ladies, get yourself a best friend who gives you compliments like “you beautiful tropical fish” and “you cunning, pliable, chestnut-haired sunfish.”

Jessica Day and Cece Parekh — New Girl

While Schmidt and Nick’s friendship may go down as one of the funniest in TV history, we can’t forget the strong bond between Jess and Cece. From the outside, these two ladies could not be any more different. Jess is a quirky and awkward elementary school teacher, while Cece is a bold and confident model. But the two are proof that regardless of what path life leads you on, some childhood friendships never die. In a roundabout way, Jess is the reason Cece met the love of her life Schmidt. Without Jess moving in with him, Nick, and Winston, the two most likely would have never crossed paths. And while Jess and Nick were always giving off that “will they or won’t they” vibe, we know that with the aid of Cece, Jess was finally able to realize that she was meant to be with him.

Rory Gilmore and Lorelai Gilmore — Gilmore Girls  

There is no reason why girls can’t be friends with their moms; in fact, after watching Gilmore Girls it seems like a pretty awesome idea. Rory and Lorelai do happen to only be sixteen years apart, but regardless, the two are able to navigate both friendship and a mother-daughter relationship. From their burger-filled nights at Luke’s, to taking part in every Stars Hollow event known to man, to the dreaded Friday night dinner with Richard and Emily, the girls did everything together. The two had personalities that were not exactly identically, but close enough to one another they knew what one another was thinking, and knew when the other needed help, without having to say so. Plus, can we all talk about the time Lorelai stayed with Rory her first few nights at Yale, so she wasn’t homesick. Truly amazing.

Meredith Grey and Cristina Yang —  Grey’s Anatomy

Sometimes you don’t always pick your friends, they grow out of close proximity as in the case with Meredeith Grey and Cristina Yang. Even though these two were theoretically supposed to be in competition with one another while in their residency, they never acted maliciously toward each other. Early in the show Cristina even risked her own life operating on Meredith’s one-true love Derek while an active shooter was on the loose. And Meredith played a crucial role in helping Cristina get over her fear of flying after their devastating plane crash. While Cristina may have gone away to do groundbreaking cardiac research in Switzerland, she and Meredith remained friends. How could we ever forget that last epic “dance it out” scene? If you can find your “person” in life, like Meredith and Cristina found in one another, you can make it through almost anything. 

Erica Goldberg and Lainey Lewis —  The Goldbergs

Disclaimer: If you haven’t watched The Goldbergs, you need to do so immediately. Mostly because of Beverly Golberg, but also because of the musically gifted duo of Erica and Lainey. These two girls bonded over their love of goals, and overbearing, but loving parental units (i.e Beverely Goldberg and Bill Lewis). The girls faced a big conflict when Lainey began to date Erica’s younger brother Barry. While originally repulsed by the idea of her best friend and brother dating one another, Erica learned to embrace their relationship and even ended up finding love in her brother’s friend Geoff. These two girls helped each other through heartbreak, dropping out of college, and they even ended up putting their musical talent to good use by starting a band. Friends you can sing your heart out with? Yes, please!

Abby Whelan and Olivia Pope — Scandal  

Although Olivia Pope was a fashion legend and as fierce as fixers come, she was not the easiest person to be friends with, however, she and Abby always managed to stay friends through all the rough patches. Yes, they hurt each other repeatedly throughout the show, and at one point the two go toe-to-toe campaigning against one another. But Olivia helped Abby escape from her abusive ex-husband, and allowed her the chance to become strong and independent. And no one was more distraught over Olivia’s kidnapping than Abby, and she, in a roundabout way, saved her by calling former “Gladiator” Stephen Finch. Friends who are literal lifesavers? Definite goals.

Rachel Green, Monica Geller, and Phoebe Buffay — Friends

Of course this list wouldn’t be complete without the ladies who made up half of the iconic cast of Friends. Rachel, Monica, and Phoebe, all had each other’s backs throughout the show, whether it was dealing with Rachel dating Ross, or Monica dating and eventually marrying Chandler, or Phoebe being a surrogate for her brother, the girls all knew how to help and support one another. They were there for every wedding, every failed job, and every heartache. No matter how long the girls had known each other or how much time had passed between them, they always had plenty of room for someone to stay at one of their apartments. These women will always be the OG gal-pal squad.

The list could go on forever! But these are definitely my top 7 girl power duos (and one trio) that have been on TV. I don’t know what these shows would have been like without them.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Hello, my name is Alex and I'm a journalism major at BU who loves coffee, the beach and writing!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.