7 Staple Christmas Songs That Are Perfect for the Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I would like to argue that the best part of the holiday season is the music. Over the years, the holiday music genre has exploded into a variety of sub-genres, including renditions, R&B, and pop. And while there’s isn’t really a bad Christmas song out there, there is definitely room for some favoritism. Here are my top-tier, go-to holiday songs to make your season bright.

“Little Saint Nick” by The Beach Boys

This is the Christmas anthem for the indie nostalgia listeners who want a song that goes beyond the traditional Santa narrative. Plus, you can’t help but sing along to those iconic Beach Boys harmonies.

“Last Christmas” by Wham!

If you find yourself in the seasonal feels, then you need to blast this George Michael masterpiece immediately. It is truly the ‘80s love and heartbreak ballad that will have you dancing all the blues away.

“Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays” by *NSYNC

This jam is sure to keep you hyped for the holidays during finals madness with its spirited beat and musical stylings of ‘90s-era Justin Timberlake. And if you listen closely to the lyrics, you’ll actually find some reminders of what the holidays are really about.

“I Wish it Could Be Christmas Everyday” by Wizzard

From the title of the song, you already know that this bop is spreading straight truths. While I will admit that I like this song mainly because it’s my mom’s favorite, there’s also an extra helping of cheeriness that will have you dancing around the room as it plays.

“Santa Baby” by Eartha Kitt

Time and time again, this song has been remade. Yet, no cover will ever come close to the original version from Miss Kitt herself. It adds a boss girl flare to the Christmas song culture that will have you strutting to class with confidence.

“Underneath the Tree” by Kelly Clarkson

There’s something about this tune that instantly makes me happy. While it’s still too new to be considered a classic for all, I can assure you that this Kelly Clarkson holiday beat will surely make it on your list every year from here on out.

“All I Want For Christmas is You” by Mariah Carey

What would a Christmas playlist be without the queen of the holidays herself? If you don’t listen to Mariah at least 100 times this season, you are not doing the holidays right and need to binge her full holiday collection immediately.

Do you have favorite Christmas songs that didn’t make my list? Let us know on our social media platforms or even share your own holiday playlists.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Noelle Monge is currently a senior in CAS, studying English. She loves earl grey-flavored treats and things that taste like fall, Broad City (#yas), and millennial pink anything. She's a Guam girl living in the always busy, eternally beautiful city of Boston. Hafa Adai all day!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.