7 Reasons Why We Are Happy Veep is Back

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Veep returned to HBO last Sunday for its sixth season and it’s probably the best thing to happen to America right now. The saying “art imitates life” is completely applicable, as Veep is a show about the incompetence of the White House. Starring Julia Louis-Dreyfus as the narcissistic, power-seeking Vice President turned President turned failure Selina Meyer, Veep mirrors the foes and failures that happen daily in Washington. With an unbelievable cast and hilarious dialogue, Veep’s return is the relief all Americans can use right now during Trump’s presidency. Here’s a list of reasons why we should be jumping for joy that Veep is back.  

1. Julia Louis-Dreyfus

Her portrayal of Selina Meyer makes her character one of the funniest on television. She doesn’t have many likable qualities.

From insulting her daughter to offending people behind closed doors, it’s hard not to fall into a love-hate relationship with Selina Meyer.  

2. It’s honest

It’s an extremely straightforward show. 

Veep is unafraid of using vulgar language or talking about things that other networks may believe to be off limits.

3. It’s funny cast

There is Gary, who is the most loyal servant to Selina, played by Tony Hale. 

Then there’s Dan Egan, another hilarious and offensive narcissist 

And Amy Brookheimer, a fiery, passionate campaign manager who also tells it like it is. 

And you can’t forget Jonah Ryan, the world’s biggest joke. Everyone is so mean to him you almost feel bad for him until you remember his terrible personality.  

A list of characters would not be complete without mentioning the infamous Richard Splett, the only one in the White House who is genuine, but also very naive.  

All of the cast members are funny in their own ways.

4. It makes fun of White House secrets 

Every episode seems like a complete mess, but serves a purpose.

It illustrates how many dumb things go on in the White House that outsiders have no idea about.  

5. It has a well-written script 

The amount of creative insults is unbelievable.

Every second, this show sneaks in some horribly offensive, but extremely creative way of offending someone. 

6. The relationship drama

The way people in this show treat each other is out of this world. 

It’s equally depressing and comical, especially the relationship Selina has with her daughter Catherine.    

6. It addresses important issues

Between all of the jokes and swearing, the show still addresses main issues in the government and America in general.

Even if most people have no idea what’s going on, the show is accurate. 

7. It is just plain funny.

It almost makes you feel better about whatever is going on in your life because chances are, in the world of Veep, things are much, much worse. 

If you want to laugh, check out Veep.

So for those of you who haven’t seen Veep, it is time to join in watching one of the funniest, raunchiest and offensive shows currently on television. You will not regret it.  

Jessie is a sophomore at Boston University studying sociology and public health. Born in New York and raised in Chicago, she loves exploring different cities and traveling. When she isn't obsessing over dogs, you can find her reading, writing, eating pancakes, and watching The Office.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.