7 Places To Take Yourself On A Date This Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

This past year has been all about bringing the concept of self-love into the spotlight; it’s been a huge movement that people have really embraced, myself included. One aspect of self-love that I’ve been focusing on in particular is being comfortable doing things by myself. I love being with my friends and family, but it’s also super important that I feel okay doing things alone. And so, with that in mind, I’ve been doing a lot of things for myself, by myself; I go to cafes and restaurants by myself, I go shopping by myself, and make sure to treat myself to nice things because I deserve it. I treat myself to museum visits and movie showings. In fact, my most favorite thing to do is to simply go on walks by myself; I put my most comfortable sneakers on, put my headphones in, and spend my time basking in the fresh air. Valentine’s Day is the perfect excuse to indulge in some self-love, so make some time to take yourself on a date, treat yourself to something nice, and to spend some time getting to know yourself.

1. Trident Booksellers and Cafe

Trident Booksellers and Cafe is one of my absolute favorite places in Boston. It has an amazing cafe with an extensive menu of delicious breakfast, lunch and dinner items. I had one of the best chai lattes I’ve ever had the pleasure of tasting while at Trident, so I definitely recommend trying that out. Before you sit down to eat, however, make sure you check out the wide selection of books that Trident stocks. They have hot new releases, longtime bestsellers, and old classics; the also have cookbooks, self-help books, biographies, and photography books! Whatever you’re looking for, they’ve got it!  A perfect Valentine’s afternoon could be spent reading a newly purchased book over a steaming hot latte and plate of sweet potato fries. Sounds like a successful Valentine’s Day to me!

2. Caffe Vittoria

Everyone who lives in Boston has heard of Mike’s Pastries, but have you ever heard of Caffe Vittoria? This adorable Italian cafe is one of the North End’s hidden gems. Located right next door to Mike’s, you can get amazing Italian sweet treats without the long lines and crazy wait times of Mike’s. If you’re a fan of gelato or tiramisu, I recommend you check this place out.

3. The Boston Public Library

One of my favorite Sunday afternoon activities is heading to the BPL to do some work, browse some books, and just chill. This historic library is absolutely beautiful, with plenty of old, antique rooms for you to hang out in that make you feel like you’re in a Harry Potter movie. The vaulted ceilings, hefty chandeliers, and dark wood bookshelves are simply stunning, transporting you to an older, simpler time. When you get tired of time traveling, you can head to the newer, more modern part of the library, which is characterized by simple, clean lines and natural lighting. There are also two great cafes where you can grab a cup of coffee if you so desire. Either way, heading to the BPL for a solo date this Valentine’s Date, where you can spend some time with yourself and a good book, sounds pretty great!

4. The Museum of Fine Arts

I’m a huge fan of going to museums alone, so if you have some time this Valentine’s Day, I would definitely recommend checking out the MFA. It has an enormous and varied selection of art, ranging from Ancient Greek sculptures to more modern contemporary art. You can see a beautiful and intricate African tribal mask in one room, view the massive and breathtaking paintings from the Renaissance, go and see the abstract workings of Mark Rothko, and then head to the newest showcase to see the vibrant stylings of genius Takashi Murakami, all in one day! There’s also an awesome gift shop, so make sure to treat yourself to something special to commemorate this self-love adventure.

5. Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum

Another amazing museum to check out is the ISG, or Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. The ISG is a unique little place; it was started by Boston socialite and art lover Isabella Stewart Gardner, who collected amazing pieces throughout her travels and created a beautiful and unique estate to house these fantastic works. Her museum and it’s collection are as unique and eccentric as she was. This is definitely a must-see for a Valentine’s Day adventure.

6. LA Burdick Chocolate

For Valentine’s Day, chocolate is always the special treat of choice. If you’re obsessed with chocolate like I am, then you don’t need Valentine’s as an excuse to indulge. But since it is the season of chocolate, you absolutely have to check out LA Burdick’s on Newbury Street. They have amazing French pastries, an extensive collection of fancy chocolates, and the most amazing hot chocolate I’ve ever had the pleasure of tasting. This adorable little cafe is an amazing getaway, slightly removed from the hustle and bustle of Newbury, and is the perfect place to treat yourself to some chocolates this Valentine’s Day.

7. Coolidge Corner Theatre

This old-fashioned movie theater is the perfect place to take yourself on a date this Valentine’s Day. This adorable little theatre shows not only current releases, but usually has older classics like The Shining or Young Frankenstein playing as well. They even do midnight showings! The aesthetic feel of this place is unlike any movie experience you’ll have. Stop by, buy a ticket, and treat yourself to some popcorn and candy this Valentine’s Day!

Valentine’s is a celebration of love, a time to cherish the important people in your life and show them you care. You count as an important person too, and if you don’t have a boyfriend or girlfriend to treat, why not treat yourself? It’s important to take time out of our busy schedules to do nice things for ourselves. Treat yourself kindly, because at the end of the day, you’re all you have. Take Valentine’s as an excuse to eat as much chocolate as your heart desires and to do something nice for yourself!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.