7 Lessons I’ve Learned From My Favorite Coming-of-Age Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I love coming-of-age stories— a whole genre of movies, literature, and television shows all about growing up. They usually focus on one person or a group of people and follow their journey from adolescence to adulthood to show how they’ve changed. I think the reason that they are so popular is that everyone can relate to the characters in one way or another. The best ones have lessons that may be learned at a young age and should never be forgotten.

The Harry Potter Series

This one isn’t primarily in the coming-of-age genre, but there’s definitely a focus on the characters as they grow up and change. We follow the protagonists from ages 11 to 18, and I definitely feel like I grew up with them. They fight dragons and wizards, but their biggest struggles and triumphs come from everyday things like friendship and love. 

The series taught me that there can be magic in ordinary life.

Dead Poets Society

I absolutely love this movie. It follows teenage boys at a boarding school as their lives are changed by an unorthodox English teacher Mr. Keating, played by Robin Williams. It deals with themes of education, belonging, and the meaning of life. Its aesthetic of autumnal academia is beautiful to watch. And as someone who loves literature, I appreciated every allusion, but you don’t have to be familiar with the references to enjoy and be moved by them. 

This movie taught me to live the life that I want and make it great in my own way.

The Way Way Back

I think this one is extremely underrated, but it’s one of my personal favorites. It follows awkward teen Duncan as he begrudgingly spends the summer with his mom and her boyfriend, played by Steve Carrell, at a beach house. He finds friendship and community through the local waterpark and its hilarious manager and continues to learn more about himself along the way. 

This movie taught me to never underestimate myself.

Lady Bird

Lady Bird is a high school senior trying to figure out who she is and who she wants to be. She deals with identity, friendships, boys, family, and her future. The movie also features a refreshingly honest and realistic mother-daughter relationship. The plot is simple yet very entertaining, the dialogue is beautiful, and the cast has some of the best new actors of our generation.

This movie taught me that it’s okay to make mistakes as you’re figuring life out, and the people who love you will always be there for you no matter what.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

I don’t think you could walk away from this movie without feeling moved and inspired. You really get to know and root for Charlie, a sweet, shy teen, as he struggles to make friends in his freshman year of high school. This movie is incredible, and I’ll never forget the first time I saw it (especially that iconic tunnel scene!!). It’s also important to note that it is very emotional and may be triggering for some, so please keep that in mind before deciding to watch this film. 

This movie taught me to know my value and not let trauma define me.

The Edge of Seventeen

Just like real life, this movie is beautiful because of its unpredictability. It follows teenager Nadine as everything seems to change around her while she tries to find and accept herself. She loses some people she loves, in more ways than one, but her growth by the end of the film is amazing. I love Hailee Steinfeld’s funny and heartwarming performance as the main character who never seems to fit in.

This movie taught me that things always get better.

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

Last but not least is my all-time favorite movie Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, which is an 80’s classic. It is so fun, and I think the message of not taking life too seriously is a very important one. Everyone should watch this movie at least once in their life, but if you’re like me, you’ll watch it about a hundred times! 

This movie taught me to enjoy every moment… because life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Growing up can feel isolating and strange, and I think that it’s important to remember that you’re not alone. My favorite thing about coming-of-age movies is that even though there are hundreds of different ones with unique characters, they always feel relatable.

More than anything, they teach me that we are all more alike than we think.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Hi! I'm Martha, and I'm a psychology major from New Jersey. I love reading, writing, listening to music, eating ice cream, and meeting new people!