7 Layering Essentials For Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Autumn, in all of its chilly glory, is finally here! After a relatively mild September, it’s finally time to pull out the usual fall essentials: knee-high boots, sweaters, and scarves. Now I don’t know about you girls, but fall (in Boston, especially) is my favorite season to experiment with clothes and different layering tips. In my countdown of the seven most important fall layering pieces, I’ll put a new spin on the classics we all know and love.

1.  Fitted T-Shirt

Fitted tees and tanks are, in my opinion, the most important pieces when it comes to layering. A simple white, gray, or black long sleeved tee can be worn with an oversized sweater and skinnies for a quick, casual look, or it can be paired with a blazer and statement necklace for a dressier look. A basic tee will forever be a girl’s perfect go-to when we have a cute cardigan or jacket to show off.

2.  Skinny Jeans

I know this one seems obvious, but skinny jeans are so versatile, especially when it comes to autumn weather. For sleek looks, you can tuck them into any type of boot, or pair them with bold, colorful flats.

3.  Simple Vest

Vests are the perfect (and cute) solution for a chilly fall afternoon. Quilted or fleece vests of a single color add a little something extra to a long sleeved tee or flannel. My favorite vest that I own is a colorful and floral quilted one. It adds a pop of color on those particularly gray autumn days.

4.  Chambray Shirt

Chambray button downs are one of my absolute favorite fall pieces. I have four of them, and each one adds a completely different style and personality to my look. My favorite chambray button down has cut-outs at the shoulder, and it’s the perfect piece when I’m going for a trendier look. Classic chambray button downs paired with sweaters on top also look good tucked in to dark wash jeans.

5.  Knee-high boots

It’s time to leave your Uggs behind, ladies. Knee-high boots, or even over-the-knee boots for the unusually bold, are a more sophisticated fall replacement. My favorite brown, equestrian-style Steve Madden boots make any outfit look instantly classic and put-together. On other days, my short black ankle boots and my studded dazzlers help create a slight punk rock look. No matter what style of boot, each pair is guaranteed to complete and polish your outfit.

6.  Chic Blazer

Blazers instantly refine an outfit, taking it from casual to classy. A simple black or navy blazer is an essential layering piece, and can be worn with a nice blouse, or even over the simple, fitted tees I mentioned earlier. If you want to push the look, try a colorful blazer. They remove the business aspect from the look, and are a little more playful for fall. Stores like H&M and Forever 21 always offer a variety of cheap, posh blazers.

7.  Scarves, Scarves, Scarves!

A neutral, earthy outfit can always be spiced up with a punch of color, and what better way to make that statement than with a patterned scarf? One of my favorite scarves is a teal infinity-styled one, and whenever I wear it, my outfit is immediately more trendy and fun. A colorful, patterned scarf is a good way to add something extra to your outfit, while keeping you warm of course!

Well, there you have my seven fall layering essentials. Try to keep these tips in mind the next time you rifle through your closet for a fun fall look. Whether you’re going for edgy or classic, my layering ideas cover it!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.