This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Now that Disney’s new streaming service Disney+ has been out for a couple of weeks, you’ve probably had ample time to explore its catalog. I know the first thing I did when I made my account was add all of my old favorites to my watchlist, and between classes and assignments, I’ve slowly found time to make my way through the list.

Between DCOMs, old Disney Channel TV shows, and animated favorites, there’s no lack of titles to work through on this extensive streaming platform. However, because of the extreme amount of content, there are some hidden gems on Disney+ that you may not have noticed yet. Here’s a list to help you out.

Disney Shorts

If you’re looking for a quick but nostalgic watch, Disney shorts are the way to go! These also score super high on the nostalgia factor. If you need a good start, I’d suggest “for the birds” or “Jack-Jack Attack,” but be prepared for the Disney short rabbit hole you’ll more than likely fall into. Many of these are just as comical and heartwarming as they were the first time around, so if you don’t have a ton of time but need a small pick-me-up, they’re a great watch. 

Newsies: The Broadway Musical

For musical theater fans, access to Newsies is a huge perk of Disney+. Set in 20th century New York, Newsies tells the story of Jack Kelly and a band of “newsies” who organize a newsboys’ strike against raising distribution prices. This version was filmed live at the Pantages Theatre in Hollywood, CA, and it stars Jeremy Jordan, Kara Lindsay, and Ben Fankhauser. Between the star-studded cast, fun music, and incredible dancing, this musical is definitely worth watching.   

Miracle

Now that we are fully in celly season, this classic ice hockey movie should definitely be on your list. Miracle tells the inspiring story of the U.S. Olympic ice hockey team’s win against the seemingly unbeatable Soviet Union in 1980. If you’re in need of a feel-good sports movie, or if you’re missing Terriers hockey games over break, give this one a watch. 

The Parent Trap 

This isn’t exactly an obscure pick, but it’s definitely worth mentioning. The Parent Trap is an absolute gem, and if it’s not on your watchlist already, it should be. This classic tells the story of a pair of twins who were separated at birth and meet for the first time at summer camp, where they decide to switch places in a plot to reunite their parents. It’s funny and heartwarming no matter what age you’re watching at, and the remake stars baby Lindsay Lohan! This film should definitely be on your list. 

Boy Meets World (and Girl Meets World)

For those of you who are scrambling for a new sitcom now that Friends is leaving Netflix, Boy Meets World is a perfect substitute (besides, we all know that Cory and Topanga are WAY cuter than Ross and Rachel anyway). Plus, if you aren’t satisfied after seven seasons of heartwarming content, you can keep going with Girl Meets World after!

Both of these shows are wonderful, whether you’re watching for the first time or going back for the nostalgia. I definitely suggest you check them out!

Disney Nature

I can already feel that these films are going to be perfect for de-stressing during finals season. The amount of cute animal content on this streaming platform is much appreciated, and I will definitely be flying through this collection in a few weeks. The Disney Nature Collection, as well as their assorted National Geographic titles, were not perks of Disney+ I was expecting, but I’m excited about them anyway! 

Disney+ Originals

One of the most unexpected but wonderful aspects of Disney+ (at least in my book) has been Disney+ originals. Between High School Musical: The Series, The Mandalorian, Noelle (starring Anna Kendrick and Bill Hader!), and my personal favorite, The World According to Jeff Goldblum, there is so much to check out in this Disney+ collection. These are great picks once the nostalgic appeal of some of the other titles wears off and you’re looking for new content— Disney+ is prepared for all your streaming needs. ​

It’s definitely going to take us all a long time to work through the extensive content on this new streaming platform, but I hope these hidden Disney gems make it onto your watchlist! 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Jules is a junior at Boston University studying English with a minor in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. Her hobbies include drinking too much iced coffee (even in Boston winters), going to concerts, tap dancing, and creative writing. Find her on insta @jules.bulafka !
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.