7 Halloween Costume Ideas for LGBTQ+ Collegiettes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Halloween is coming, collegiettes, and with it comes the difficult task of finding the perfect costume. I know you love Carol, I do too, but do you really want to be the 10th Carol of the party? I thought so! Whether you are going solo, or with your SO and your friends, here are seven fresh costumes ideas from this year’s best TV shows.

Moira from The Handmaid’s Tale

As we were still mourning the loss of Poussey from Orange is the New Black, Samira Wiley gave us another amazing lesbian character. Once you find a way to recreate the iconic bonnet (here is a great tutorial), the rest of the outfit is pretty easy to make and it can easily be turned into a group costume. 

Ally and Ivy Mayfair-Richards from American Horror Story: Cult

This one is the ultimate last-minute costume. Just make sure you stay with your Ivy (and vice-versa) or people might think you forgot to dress up!

Kat from The Bold Type

Kat is best known for her crop tops and bold prints. You probably already have this in your dressing room, so this costume is perfect for the collegiettes on a budget. Now, go find your Adena!

Julia Edwards from Top of the Lake: China Girl

If you miss that Halloween witchy vibe (look at her hair!) but still want to look pretty, Julia Edwards is the character you’re looking for. Plus, who does not want to dress as a feminist, lesbian Nicole Kidman?

Any of the female wrestlers from GLOW

None of them are actually queer (I still have my hopes for season 2) but this show is about women who wrestle so I guess it is pretty gay in itself. The outfits are amazing, so this is perfect if you are looking for that ‘80s vibe but already went as Yorkie or Kelly from “San Junipero” last year!

Bilquis from American Gods

I love American Gods and I cannot wait for season 2! Bilquis is an Old Goddess of Love, who feeds herself by having sex with both men and women. She is exactly who you want to be for Halloween! You just need a long red dress and you are all set.   

Yael from Degrassi: Next Class

I know that this show is not new but this character is still pretty great. Yael came out on Degrassi: Next Class’ latest season and they became the show’s first gender fluid character. The biggest issue with this costume? You will have to admit that you still watch Degrassi, but I guess that your little sister or this kid you babysit can be good alibis!

Have a great Halloween and if you still want to be Carol, you go girl!

Iris is an Exchange Student at Boston University and is getting her Master's degree in Digital Marketing. Originally from France, she is really excited to discover Boston. She is passionate about Feminism, Queer issues, and Fashion. In her free time, Iris can be found Thrifting, watching TV shows, and Baking. 
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.