Wellness > Health

6 Things I Learned After Skiing for the First Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Over spring break, I went to New Hampshire to try out some snow sports I have never done before. The very first thing I did was ski. It was super fun, but I wish I was a little more prepared. Here are six things I learned skiing for the first time.

1. Bring sunglasses.

Or buy/rent ski goggles. I seriously underestimated the blinding snow reflection and had to steal some sunglasses from my mom. Number one rule to skiing!

2. Thermals are essential.

Yes, this may seem like an obvious statement, but you’d be surprised. I barely wear thermals even in Bostonian weather, but they are necessary to wear while skiing.

3. Don’t wear too many clothes.

Although it is super cold, you are going to be exercising. So, don’t layer too much because you’ll feel gross and sweaty (But I mean, be smart about it. Like you are going to need layers obviously…just not TOO many layers. Ya know?)!

4. Take breaks and hydrate.

You are basically working out, so make sure you take care of yourself and get water from time to time. Also, you will most likely be sore after so don’t push yourself.

5. Be patient.

It is a challenging sport, so it’s okay if you don’t get the hang of it right away. Don’t be embarrassed if you fall, because everyone does. Take it one step at a time!

6. Take lots of pictures.

Skiing is a super fun experience, so you’ll want to document your memories.                  

Overall, trying this out was such a great experience. Now I understand why everyone goes skiing during winter and/or spring break! Even though it’s challenging and intimidating, it’s super fun and worth a try.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Caele (pronounced Kay-lee) is a senior at Boston University studying Advertising and Spanish. She loves books, film, music, photography, food, traveling, fashion, and beauty. Before COVID-19, you could usually find her on the MBTA or in a coffee shop.