This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Quarantine absolutely killed my “to be watched” list. With so much free time to watch television, I thought I had essentially watched most of the shows on Netflix that I had been wanting to see. That’s why, when I came back to school and found myself needing a downtime show to put on, I came up short, scrolling through Netflix’s home page again and again. Just a few days after that, the show Schitt’s Creek completely crushed the 2020 Emmys, bringing home awards for Lead Actor and Actress in a Comedy Series, Supporting Actor and Actress in a Comedy Series, and Outstanding Comedy Series. I had already tried watching the first episode once or twice, and it just hadn’t grabbed my attention. But after the show received such high praise at the Emmys and in the press, I decided it was worth another try, and boy oh boy am I glad that I gave it another go. 

After the first few episodes, it really hit its stride, and I fell head-over-heels in love with the show and its characters. Schitt’s Creek follows the story of the Rose family (Johnny, Moira, and their adult children David and Alexis) as they lose their fortune and are forced to relocate to a rural town called Schitt’s Creek that Johnny once bought for David as a joke. If you’re looking for your next Netflix binge or like I did, need a little convincing to give Schitt’s Creek a try, here are six reasons why it should be on your watch list:

Moving Character Development

The definite highlight of this show is how artfully the creators handle the characters’ development. The reason I struggled with starting the show at first was because the characters start out as very unrelatable and frankly bordering on unlikable. However, as I continued I was amazed at how quickly I fell in love with all the characters and became invested in how they turned out, despite the fact that it was definitely a journey for the Roses to learn how to be better people once they lost their extravagant lifestyle.

Great Comedic Writing

Perhaps this is a given since the show won the 2020 Emmy Award for Outstanding Comedy Series, but it is guaranteed to make you smile. The goofy vernacular of the Rose family has made its way into my daily life, including pronouncing “baby” like “bébé” (thank you, Moira Rose), and saying Ew! to myself in Alexis’s voice whenever something happens that I don’t like. There are also so many one-liners that quickly made my favorites list, and even through the more emotionally heavy episodes and scenes, the show manages to keep the light humor that is at the heart of it.

Wholesome LGBTQ+ Representation

I can’t say too much about it in this spoiler-free recommendation, but holy Schitt(’s Creek) did this show say gay rights. The show received the 2020 GLAAD award for Outstanding Comedy Series, and it’s clear to see why when you watch the show. The writers artfully weave queer narratives into the show without alienating the stories as “other” or reducing them to overplayed tropes. There is one specific queer couple that gets a very happy, healthy relationship in the show, and while that may seem like a low bar, that’s not representation that is always a given, and it was really refreshing to see it in Schitt’s Creek.

Ensemble Comedy Shenanigans

I’ve watched The Office, Parks and Recreation, The Good Place, and Brooklyn Nine-Nine (read: the Michael Schur holy quaternity) so it’s safe to say that I’m a sucker for a good ensemble comedy. Schitt’s Creek definitely fills that hole in my heart, as the wider cast supports the journey of the main characters very well, and many of them often have their own story arcs that just pull you further into the world of the show. Especially because the Rose family is so intensely ridiculous at the beginning of the show, the rest of the ensemble cast balances them out quite nicely.

Realistic (If Not Ridiculous) Familial Relationships

One of my favorite parts of this show is David and Alexis’ sibling relationship. As an older sister, I resent when siblings are portrayed like close acquaintances, without even a tiny bit of sibling rivalry and bickering. However, Schitt’s Creek perfectly captures the balance of unconditional love and merciless teasing that I find more realistic between siblings. The relationship between Johnny and Moira and their kids is also developed in a very engaging way. This may be due in part to the fact that Eugene Levy, who plays Johnny, and Dan Levy, who plays David, are both the show’s creators and father and son.

It’s Canadian

Okay, okay, so this may not be the first reason to watch the show, but iN oUr CuRrEnt PoLiTiCaL CLiMaTe, sometimes I just want to be mentally taken out of the hot mess that is the United States for an hour or two while I watch Netflix. While it’s not apparent on a regular basis in the show, every once in awhile I’ll catch a reference to Manitoba or someone’s accent making an appearance as they say “sorry,” and it makes me smile.

If you’ve also burned your way through all of your to-be-watched shows, consider Schitt’s Creek for your next Netflix binge-watching session.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Morgan is a senior at Boston University studying public relations with minors in art history and political science. She loves fall, cafés, and exploring Boston. She is a frequent art museum goer and an ardent Bruins fan. Besides writing, Morgan's hobbies include curating Spotify playlists, cheering on the BU Terriers at hockey games, and exploring independent bookstores.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.