6 Fun Activities To Do in Boston During the Summertime

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

There is nothing like Boston in the summer. The weather warms up, sailboats make their way down the Charles River, people stroll down parks and hop on duck tours, and all the trees are turning to green. There is truly nothing like it. With all the possibilities of fun things you can do on a warm summer’s day in Boston, I’ve narrowed the list down to the top six things you can do.   

Picnic in the Boston Common

The Boston Commons was founded in 1634 and is still enjoyed today in 2019! This park is America’s oldest, and arguably America’s loveliest, park. Bring a picnic basket and blanket, and enjoy a nice day people-watching, reading, or just hanging out with friends; all while surrounded by a calming pond and beautiful greenery.

Boston Public Market

Shopping locally matters! Go visit the Boston Public Market where you can buy fresh, locally-sourced food, soaps, candles, plants, and more! This excursion will please your taste buds and your friends alike. Try Boston’s best donuts (awarded by the Boston Magazine in 2013, 2015, and 2017) there at the Union Square Donuts stand!

Hammock at the Harvard University’s Arnold Arboretum

The Arnold Arboretum is a 281-acre haven filled with trees, shrubs, vines, and other plants. It was designed by Frederick Law Olmsted as a “great escape from the city.” It’s open daily from sunrise to sunset. Bring a hammock, and your favorite book or friend, and relax within the arms of Mother Nature.

Visit the Franklin Park Zoo

The Franklin Park Zoo has more than 220 species of animals! Spend some time in the tropical forest looking at gorillas, bats, lemurs, and hippopotamuses or go to the Kalahari Kingdom and look at African lions, African spurred tortoises, and domestic Bactrian camels. There are even interactive areas where you can pet goats or walk through a complex full of birds!

Go Whale Watching

The best time to go whale watching in Boston is during the heart of summer, specifically between the months of April and October. Massachusetts is known for having a lot of humpback whales, finback whales, dolphins, and even minke whales! If you don’t happen to spot a whale, most whale watch tours offer you a lifetime rain check. This is an exciting adventure to go on with friends or family. Make sure to bring a camera, sun protection, hat, warm jacket (because it’s colder out on the sea), and sunglasses!

Bike Down the Charles River

Biking down the Charles River is a must during the summer. Don’t have a bike? No worries, because Boston is full of Blue Bikes that cost only $2.50 for half an hour of riding. The Charles River Bike Path spans to a whopping 22.9 miles. You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a rental bike, and that’s pretty close.

Summertime is my favorite time of year, and it could be yours too after trying out these fun activities. With or without friends, you’ll have a blast biking down the Charles River or slurping up some local oysters at the Boston Public Market. The sun is shining, the weather is sweet, and what better way to appreciate summer than to spend it outdoors!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

ielwaw@bu.edu
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.