5 Ways To Combat Fear Of Finals And Embrace The Boston Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

The final push of the semester towards winter break is no doubt one of the hardest parts of the first semester. On top of that, entering an afternoon class while the sun is still shining and leaving it under a night sky is the opposite of motivating and the shorter amount of daylight can make my days less productive.

The shorter daylight, combined with the colder temperatures and the stress of schoolwork, can make the winter magic disappear. So how can we improve these last few weeks of the semester and keep spirits high headed into finals week?

Host a Hot Cocoa Night

My first suggestion would be to host a hot cocoa night with some of your closest friends. Easily done in a dorm or apartment, some Swiss Miss and hot water are all you really need for this night-in.

Take an hour for yourself to enjoy a warm treat, reconnect and debrief with friends, and give your mind a break from the finals week worries.

Escape to Winter Wonderland in Snowport

Unfortunately, Boston University’s campus doesn’t have much holiday cheer to offer, and it can get pretty boring. Taking a trip somewhere off-campus can break up the monotony of classes and finals prep. There’s no better place to go than Snowport!

Each winter on Nov. 10, Boston’s Seaport neighborhood transforms into Snowport and remains a winter wonderland until Dec. 31. Snowport has tons to explore, including a holiday market with over 120 small business vendors and an array of food stalls.

Check Out The Holiday Specials
starbucks holiday drink menu 2022?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Starbucks

Companies like Target, Trader Joe’s, and Starbucks crank up the holiday cheer for a reason every fall and winter: most consumers love the holiday specials.

There’s just something about pumpkin spice-flavored anything or a kitschy Christmas item that makes the seasons go by faster.

If you need a pick-me-up or a study snack, consider checking out Trader Joe’s for some Candy Cane JoJos, or seeing if Target has any holiday decor that is just too good to pass up. Sometimes, a Starbucks peppermint mocha or gingerbread chai will get you out of that study slump!

Crank Up The Carols

Finding some holiday spirit can really be as simple as surfing Spotify for some Christmas carols or streaming a holiday movie when you have a free night or need some background entertainment.

While ridiculously corny, sometimes a sappy Hallmark special is just what we need. Start curating your playlists and watchlists and get yourself feeling merry.

Fall in Love WIth Cold-Weather Cl0thes

While it may come as a shock to some, the cold is a welcome companion to me. Maybe it’s the midwesterner in me talking, but I look forward to the change of seasons because it allows for a wardrobe refresh.

There’s something about switching T-shirts out for a chunky knit and matching hat and mitten set that just can’t be beat. Instead of viewing the cold as an enemy, try beating the chill by making layering into a fashion.

Peruse Pinterest for some winter outfit inspiration and level up your layering game. If you needed a sign to buy that blanket scarf, here it is. Fall in love with the cozy aesthetic and fight frostbite at the same time!

Surround yourself with cozy good vibes, remember to take time for yourself, and make this finals season the best one yet!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!

Kate Rekas is a freshman on the writing team at the Her Campus Boston University Chapter. She was a writer and editor on her high school's newspaper "The Spectrum." She also is a member of the multimedia team on "The Daily Free Press," Boston University's independent and student run newspaper. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Kate is a member of the Boston University Figure Skating Team, and is still exploring different majors to pursue. When not studying or skating, Kate is exploring the city of Boston, and seeking out as many sunset watching opportunities as possible!