This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Since COVID-19 hit, most people’s lives have been completely turned around. Though it’s been almost 8 months since the United States’ initial lockdown, everyday life is still not back to normal and likely won’t be for a long time. I’ve often felt disoriented during this hectic time and thought I could share 5 tips to at least feel like your life is completely put together, even if it isn’t quite the reality. Personally, I say “fake it ’til you make it.”

Make Your Bed

I’m sure you heard this multiple times from your parents growing up, and while I used to question the legitimacy of this advice, I’ve found that making my bed does help me get a better start to my day. If your bed is unmade or messy, it can often feel like your life is out of order, so taking the few minutes to straighten it up is definitely worth it.

Write in a Planner

Admittedly, this is a habit I haven’t fully integrated in my life, but there are plenty of others who swear by the effectiveness of writing out your tasks and goals for the week. An article by Mental Floss outlines the key benefits of using a planner, including the ability to track your goals and reflect on your accomplishments.

Plan Your Outfits the Night Before

So, there are a lot of articles on decision fatigue, and most sources agree that this is a legitimate phenomenon when people are overstressed or presented with too many decisions and end up making poor choices as a result. Choosing an outfit the night before already eliminates a decision (albeit a small one) from your day, allowing you to focus on other things in the morning.

Set Aside Time for Relaxation

While a lot of the idea of being put together is tied to productivity, having time to unwind is actually essential in maintaining a balanced life. If you never stop for a break, you’ll ultimately feel more exacerbated than if you take a few hours to yourself.

Confront Procrastination

A lot of people—myself included—struggle with procrastination. This can be for assignments, household tasks, or random things you need to do but keep putting off. Taking initiative and getting things done is definitely difficult, but in the end will leave you feeling more in charge of your life.

A lot of people may seem completely put together on the outside, but the reality is that everyone has their own struggles in life they’re dealing with. These tips are only small guidelines, but can really make a difference in being a more organized, productive person.

Remember, no one is perfect and no one should feel bad about keeping up with the whirlwind of life. Now, grab that planner and go get ’em!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Ruby is a sophomore from Phoenix, Arizona studying computer science and media science at BU. She loves to express her passions through writing, and hopes to help some readers along the way. Besides writing for Her Campus, Ruby spends her time cooking, reading, and exploring new coffee shops.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.