5 TV Shows You Have to Binge-Watch with the Girls This Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

If you’re staying in and having a girls’ night, your first instinct is probably to turn on the tv and watch something entertaining. While it may feel like you’ve watched everything on all platforms, as you scrape through the depths of Hulu and Netflix, I guarantee there are some shows out there you might not have seen…like these next few amazing shows. Each is perfect for a night in with the girls, as they all have themes of female solidarity and women who are smart and strong.

Derry Girls (Netflix)

This is a show that is brilliantly crafted, and I am so happy that Netflix decided to pick up the series from Britain’s Channel 4. While it’s a shame there are only 6 episodes per season, each is filled with hilarious humor, ’90s references, a soundtrack filled with The Cranberries, and the blending of the historical context of the easing of conflict between Catholics and Protestants in Northern Ireland during the 1990s. While the girls Erin, Clare, Michelle, Orla, and Michelle’s British cousin James, all find themselves going through typical teen angst and getting into trouble, viewers are also exposed to the violent and rigid life surrounding the region. 

Each of the girls (including James) has something unique about them, and any viewer could relate to one of them. Erin is the imaginative writer. Clare is the Nervous Nellie. Michelle is the bold, rebellious type. Orla is the shy introvert. And James just wants to feel like he fits in. Even though the show takes place in the ’90s and in a different country, the show’s topics of female friendship, physical and self-exploration, and protest against society is something that is very relevant in today’s world. It’s a show that you can probably stream all in one weekend with the gals for some good laughs. 

Shrill (Hulu)

If you love Aidy Bryant on SNL, then you’ll love her in the Hulu original Shrill. Bryant plays Annie, an aspiring journalist who is often not taken seriously due to being an overweight woman. Throughout the season she learns to love herself and her body, with the help of her best friend Fran, as well as other inspiring ladies she meets along the way. The show is also produced by Lorne Michaels, so there’s that signature SNL humor woven into the script. 

The show is definitely inspiring, as it speaks to those who are unsure about themselves learning to be more confident and taking an active role in their lives. I also think it portrays the ideas of learning to love yourself in all ways and never settling for less than what we want. 

There’s only one season, so it’s a pretty quick watch in one night if you’re hanging out with the gals, looking for a little female inspiration.

The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (Netflix)

“Females are strong as hell,” ain’t that the truth!  If you are a fan of strong females and Tina Fey’s writing, this series is going to be right up your alley! The show follows Kimmy Schmidt making her way through life in New York City, after spending 15 years in a bunker preparing for a fake apocalypse. With the help of her roommate Titus, landlord Lillian, and boss/friend Jacqueline, Kimmy is able to navigate her way through the city streets, regardless of her mental level being on par with a middle-school girl. 

The show provides plenty of social commentary in a satirical and smart way, making for very funny plot lines. Whether it’s dealing with gentrification, PTSD, racism, or gender inequality, the writing takes a light-hearted approach to these topics, while still showcasing their significance within society. Plus if you’re still not convinced, all the celebrity cameos are pretty amazing—including a few big names such as Jon Hamm, Lisa Kudrow, Jeff Goldblum and so many more! If you’re looking for a funny, chill show that you will want to keep watching episode after episode, check out The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt!

GLOW (Netflix)

Initially, I did not think I would like the Netflix original GLOW, as I am not a fan of wrestling. However, after one episode I was hooked. Set in the mid-1980s, GLOW depicts the fictional story of a group of novice female wrestlers, based on real women’s organization the Gorgeous Ladies of Female Wrestling or better known under the acronym “GLOW.” The dramedy features the likes of Alison Brie, Betty Gilpin, and Kate Nash. The show also features BU alums Marc Maron, who is a lead throughout the series, and Geena Davis, who plays an integral role in the show’s recently released third season. 

Within the plot, themes of gender, race, and sexuality are brought up frequently, but in a way that makes the topics easier to understand and talk about through humor. Also if you’re a fan of ’80s music, the soundtrack is pretty epic.  It’s the perfect show to binge-watch on a weekend with the girls; you’ll be sure to identify with at least one of the characters.

Big Little Lies (HBO)

First off, let me just say that when it comes to casting, BLL has one of the greatest lineups of all time. Not only did you have Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman, Laura Dern, Zoe Kravitz, and Shailene Woodley in the first season, but in the second season, viewers also got Meryl Streep! It would be pretty hard for any show to bring together so many big names on one screen, as BLL did, but it’s not just the people that make the show great, it’s the story. 

The show deals with topics such as spousal abuse, rape, bullying, adultery, and embezzlement, following the lives of five very different women, who all relate over a tragic event. Now I know what you’re thinking…would this be a show I would want to binge on a Friday night (sounds kind of heavy)? The answer is yes. While the show is difficult to watch it some points, it is also empowering watching a group of women from all different backgrounds come together and support one another through times of hardship. The series is exciting, emotional, and does have points of humor to provide a bit of comic relief. Therefore, if you haven’t already seen this show, please do yourself a favor and start it this weekend!

Sometimes it’s just good to curl up on the weekend and just decompress. If that sounds like what your plans are this weekend then these shows should be added to your must-stream list as soon as possible. But don’t just take my word for it. All these shows have a 90% or above rating on Rotten Tomatoes. So what are you waiting for? Go stream!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Hello, my name is Alex and I'm a journalism major at BU who loves coffee, the beach and writing!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.