5 TV Shows Premiering in Fall I’m Really Excited About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Everyone knows fall is the season of pumpkin spice lattes, cozy sweaters, warm blankets, and colorful leaves. What a lot of people don’t know, or don’t really realize, is that fall is the time where countless amazing (and not so great) TV shows have their premieres. I’ve compiled a list of the ones I’m really excited to see (and you should be, too!).

I wish I could fit The Bold Type into this list. Sadly, this is not an option. But if you haven’t seen it yet, go watch it! For the others, here are five promising TV shows premiering this fall.

1. The Deuce (HBO, debuted September 10)

Can you get enough of James Franco? Yes, probably, but I keep watching (and sometimes criticizing) everything he stars in. So when I heard about The Deuce I just could not wait.  The Deuce tells the story of the legalization and rise of the porn industry in 1970s New York City. James Franco plays twin brothers, Vincent and Frankie Martino! If this is not enough for you, the cast also includes Maggie Gyllenhaal and the show was co-created by David Simon and George Pelecanos (creator and writer of The Wire and Treme, a.k.a. two amazing series). I have only watched the first episode, but I already love it.

2. Marvel’s Runaways (Hulu, debuts November 21)

The plot of Marvel’s Runaways is simple: six teenagers from different backgrounds unite against their parents, a team of super villains known as The Pride. I have to admit, I am not a fan of superhero TV shows, although I enjoyed Marvel’s Jessica Jones. I already watch too many TV shows, so I have to make a choice and superheroes are not on the list. That being said, I love teen shows (I watched every season of Degrassi: Next Class. No shame) so I will give Runaways a try!

3. American Vandal (Netflix, debuted September 15)

If you have already watched every true crime shows on Netflix, then American Vandal might be your new late-night addiction.

After a student got expelled for allegedly spray-painting penises on 27 cars in the teachers’ parking lot, sophomore and aspiring filmmaker, Peter Maldonado, decides to get to the bottom of the story and shoots a documentary. The characters take the story and themselves so seriously that I sometimes felt like watching a true documentary.

Netflix’ mockumentary manages to be absurdly funny while being extremely political; It addresses the flaws of the American justice system. The whole season is already available on Netflix, so what’s more to ask?

4. The Mayor (ABC, debuts October 9)

From Glee to Empire and The Get Down, I have always had a thing for musical TV shows. So when I heard about The Mayor, my first thought was, “I have to watch it.” Plus Glee alumn, Lea Michele, plays one of the main characters!

Here is the plot: “A 27-year-old struggling rapper runs for mayor to get some exposure for his mixtape. Then he accidentally becomes mayor.” It could be a total disaster or it could be amazing. I guess we will have to wait until next week to find out.

5. Mindhunter (Netflix, debuts October 13)

The show is based on the book Mind Hunter: Inside FBI’s Elite Serial Crime Unit written by former FBI special agent, John E. Douglas. It is produced by David Fincher and Charlize Theron, and was renewed for a second season before the first season even premiered! All of that is really impressive, but honestly, I only want to watch it because of Jonathan Groff, another Glee (and Looking) alumna, Yes, I am that kind of girl. Also, it is a Netflix original series, which means I can binge-watch it in two days and forget about it until next year.

Now it is time to grab a blanket, turn on your laptop and enjoy!

Iris is an Exchange Student at Boston University and is getting her Master's degree in Digital Marketing. Originally from France, she is really excited to discover Boston. She is passionate about Feminism, Queer issues, and Fashion. In her free time, Iris can be found Thrifting, watching TV shows, and Baking. 
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.