5 TV Shows that Need Spinoffs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

When the “Boy Meets World” spinoff “Girl Meets World” was announced, the hearts of children born in the 90s stopped beating. The world went silent because we all took to Twitter or Facebook to announce our joy. The show, which is set to air sometime in 2014, is highly anticipated and will surely reap a lot of views. The announcement got me thinking about other shows that I wish had spinoffs. If I could, the list would go on and on, but below are what I consider my top 5 list of shows that I wish would appear on my TV screen as a spinoff.

1. Hey Arnold!

Even though it’s a cartoon, a Hey Arnold spinoff would be fantastic. Hey, the Rugrats did it! Unfortunately the Rugrats went through high school and grew up way too fast, but the Hey Arnold kids always seemed to be a lot more mature for their age. I wouldn’t mind seeing them go through high school or college. Do Helga and Arnold ever get together? How is Gerald’s hair holding up these days? How are Arnold’s cooky grandparents? Does that kid, Brainy, who is always breathing heavily behind Helga ever get his sinus problems fixed? So many questions, so little answers.

2. Kenan & Kel

This show was absolutely hilarious, and I could just imagine how great it would be if Kenan & Kel did this sort of comedy together again. Although Kenan is busy being SNL famous–and doing really well at it– I miss the crazy situations he and Kel would get into. They could have awesome special guests, like all of their “All That” cast mates and could have a Coolio theme song again. I would love to see how their bromance plays into their adult lives.

3. Friends

This one is the spin-off that everyone has been begging for and although there have been rumors of a spin-off, the Friends cast and creators keep denying that a spinoff will occur. Reintroducing everyone’s favorite group of Friends will be great. The last episode left us with so many questions, like what happened to Rachel and Ross? Do they get married again or do they simply choose to raise Emma together as boyfriend and girlfriend? And what about Chandler and Monica? Do they like Westchester enough to stay there? I can already picture so many great scenarios. I’d love to see the Friends cast as parents. Imagine an episode where uncle Joey teaches Ben his infamous “How you doin’?” line to pick up girls. Or, an episode where Janice comes back and is somehow married to Gunther. There are so many possibilities.                                                

4. That 70’s Show

Oh, how I miss this show. Although I always get my fill of this show from reruns on TV, Netflix, or the fact that I own the box set, I wish we could have new episodes to laugh at. The cast of this show has probably been my 2nd favorite in TV history (the Friends cast is obviously the first.) Although, “That 80’s Show” did happen as a spin-off, it was a complete flop. I blame it on the different cast. Bring back Fez, Donna, Hyde, Kelso, Jackie, Eric, Red and Kitty, put them in an 80’s setting and I’m sure television magic will happen again.

5. That’s So Raven

Cory and Mr. Baxter received their own spin-off where they travelled to D.C. to live in the White House where Mr.Baxter became the President’s chef. However, Raven only appeared in a few episodes, and that is where this spin-off was flawed. Raven, in my opinion, was a comedic genius. Not only through her slapstick comedy, but simply just the way she delivered her lines. Raven supplied us with tons of sass and quirkiness that we all needed in our lives. Imagine Raven still having crazy visions and trying to get her fashion career going. Is she still working for Donna Cabonna? Is she still friends with Chelsea and Eddie (probably not Eddie because I think Orlando Brown is currently in jail)? What ever happened with her “boo” Devon? And the age old question, does Tanya ever come back from the foreign land she was in? These are things I want to know. 

Is there a show you’re dying to see made into a spinoff? Tweet us @HerCampusBU and let us know what you think!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.