5 Tips on Styling Post-Gym Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Let’s face it—sometimes washing hair after the gym just isn’t happening. This could be because, well, maybe you washed your hair recently (some of us religiously follow our 3-washes-per-week schedule,) you don’t have time to wash it, or you just don’t feel like it. Sweaty hair can be tricky to style—but I have some tips on making the most out of your post-gym locks. Get ready to embrace that grease ;) (ew lol.)

1.     Dry shampoo is your new best friend (as if it isn’t already.)

If your workout was quick or something like a yoga class, pilates class, or just something light in general, and you have a small to medium amount of sweaty hair, then a few quick sprays of dry shampoo will save your ‘do. I recommend Batiste all the way! Hair literally feels so clean afterwards. There are so many different yummy scents available too, which is obviously an extremely important factor for a dry shampoo. Although we should be proud of getting our butts to the gym and working out, we don’t have to prove it to the world with smelly hair.

2.     Super sweaty? Take a quick shower.

If you went on a run, went hard on the elliptical, went to a Zumba® class, or did any kind of vigorous physical activity and your hair is super greasy, you should at least rinse it off in the shower if you have time. I’ve learned the hard way that dry shampoo doesn’t solve all sweaty hair problems!

3.     Blow-dry sweaty hair.

But, if you really don’t have time to wet your hair in the shower, then you could blow-dry your sweaty hair. If you shampooed recently then your hair should look decent. If it is still greasy after blow-drying, get your dry shampoo ready for some action.

4.     Buns, braids, and ponytails are the best hairstyles for sweaty hair.

The grease in your hair will actually allow these hairstyles to stay put better than clean hair would. And if you’re using dry shampoo to eliminate grease, it will create body and texture for these styles. A win-win!

5.     Hats are your best friend.

You can always hide under a hat. Cute and effortless!

Happy styling! 

Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis