5 Things You Need Before Winter Arrives

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

1. Sunglasses 

The heat is leaving us for months, but the sunlight bouncing off those five feet piles of snow will still do a lot of damage to your peepers. An unconventional frame or fun colors are easy ways to brighten up those winter blues. Pair them up with an all black outfit for an even bigger statement.

2. The Giant Scarf

We don’t want anything paper-thin in our winter wardrobes. When the weather’s in the single digits, no one cares if you walk down the street sporting a scarf the size of Simba’s mane. Even something called the “blanket scarf” is getting popular, so you won’t be judged even if you look like you’re wearing your literal bedsheets across campus. The goal is to stay warm!

3. Turtlenecks 

They’re a cute and easy way to keep the breeze off your neck. They’re also versatile; you can tuck them into high-waisted jeans for a cropped look reminiscent of summer, throw a jacket over them, and layer them over or under any combination of things. You can stay neutral with a classic black turtleneck or go for some of this season’s popular winter colors, like mustard yellow, olive green, maroon and white. If anything, just wear them with leggings and a cute pair of boots. Speaking of boots…

4. Two Extremes: Ankle or Over-the-knee Boots

Booties have already taken over the autumn fashion scene. You can invest in a pair that can brave the snow to spice up your snow boot situation, or go way past the ankle with the over-the-knee boot. These come in all shapes in sizes, but lace-up, platform, and thickly heeled boots are making the rounds lately.

5. Pom Pom Beanie 

If you’re looking for ways to spruce up the worn beanie look, an old classic has popped up to end your search. There will be cold days you won’t be brave enough to face without a hat to guard your noggin, so lay on some heavy fluff and crown your head with a pom pom this winter. It’s warm and it’ll add some much needed bounce to the grayer days this season.

The overall message this season is to combat the approaching dullness with everything we have. Spring and summer are taking all the color with them, so we can fill in the blanks—and the grays, the blacks, and all that unending white. The winter will undoubtedly be long, but it doesn’t have to be depressing!

Nicole is a junior Film/TV major at Boston University. She's an Argentinean first generation student who made the leap from Miami to Boston for college. She has chosen writing as a career for reasons no one can explain, except maybe with theories of her masochistic tendencies. She dreams of being on a writing team for a sitcom and someday becoming a showrunner of her own original show.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.